cloth animation for games

since Max Payne 3 has been announced and watching the trailer for them there been something that has stood out at me that i really want to try/do.

at 0:20 and 1:44 if you look on max’s back you can see what im on about

if anyone can help on how to do this within blender and if possible to then export it into something like unity or UDK that would be much help

You can do such things with shape keys. Actually, I’m pretty sure that’s how they did it. Current realtime cloth is not that accurate.
Just create different shape keys for each fold state and animate them accordingly. Study how the folds are behaving. Make a video if possible and use it as reference.

Regarding to the specific engines. UDK can’t import Blender shape keys AFAIK. Only Max morphs, or Maya blend shapes.
Unity can’t import Blender shape keys by default. But there are at least two third party plug-ins for Unity which make that possible. Just google for Blender shape keys and Unity.

Edit:
As far as I remember, I answered this question on CGcookie as well a while back ago. You are the same guy, right?!

at 0:20 and 1:44 if you look on max’s back you can see what im on about

I’m fairly sure this is texture-based. That is, you use two or more textures and blend between them according to the state of your animation. You can’t really export something like that, but if you think about it you can probably come up with a way to do this in either one of these engines, using materials and driving the blend value through code.

Hmm, after looking at this video again, I would say it could be texture based actually. The shirt looks quite flat from the side.
I find my shape key method more convincing :stuck_out_tongue:

Moved from “General Forums > Blender and CG Discussions” to “Support > Animation and Rigging”