Cloth animation of specific part of mesh

Hey all:

I’m working in Blender 2.6 and have been playing around with this figure for a long time, and want to make the bottom of his already existing coat to be cloth simulated. I know there I need to pin it in a specific way, or by using vertex groups, but I can’t seem to figure it out and I’m worried that I might need to start from scratch. When i try to apply to cloth to this specific vertex group the whole mesh just crumbles. As he’s built right now, the torso mesh does not have any under structure (like a body), and I think that is my fundamental problem. But… is there a way just to have a specific set of vertices have physics applied to them?

Any advice? I can give more details if anyone is confused.

Thanks!

To pin the thing, assign all the vertices that you don’t want to have the cloth applied to a vertex group, then select the group in pinning.

Great Thanks Quacky!

Another thing though, now that I’ve got that to work, I can’t get the collision to work exactly… during the walk cycle that I have made the legs go through the jacket almost in the first couple of frames. I tried to use the self-collision, but that just seemed to make things worse. Any suggestions?

This discussion does not belong in the “Blender and CG Discussions” forum. Next time, go to the help forum.

You need to add a collision modifier to the legs before the cloth sim will react to them. Self-collision is just meant allow the cloth to collide with itself.

whooops, sorry xabotage, I actually knew that, but posted in haste…

it’s won’t let me assign just the leg vertices as colliders, it applies that to the entire mesh, is that still correct?
thanks again, i’ll post correctly in the future.

You can also select and copy the vertices you want to use as collision geometry and then Ctrl-P split them into a new object. Then apply the collision modifier to this object, but turn off the object’s render visibility in the outliner. Or, you can create a new low-poly copy of the legs, attach them to your rig over the real legs, turn off their render visibility and use them as collision geo instead.

Essentially, you have to “fake” it. If it doesn’t work, work around.

Keep in mind, however, good cloth sim is extremely difficult. In most cases, unless you’re a pro, you’re better off without. Unlike subsurf or ambient occlusion, cloth is not a one-click-and-its-awesome kind of feature.

http://www.infoocean.info/avatar3.jpgI’m working in Blender 2.6 and have been playing around with this figure for a long time, and want to make the bottom of his already existing coat to be cloth simulated.