Cloth - Buttons, pockets, zips and folds

Hi all!
I have some questions for the Cloth masters :slight_smile:
I’ve mastered (well, more or less :p) the Cloth modifier regarding to flat dresses, table cloths and flags… but I’ll need a little bit more than that :smiley: like real garments, so…

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/6282/clothhelpor9.jpg
…How about, pockets, zips, buttons, folds and everything else that involves adding a 2nd (a child) cloth object to the simulation that needs to be constrained to the parent…
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3838/clothhelp2rv6.jpg
And giving volume to the cloths…
Are any of this things already possible with the cloth modifier!?

I’ve been trying for a wile and it became quite clear that it doesn’t :frowning:
-For volume I think it would be needed a modifier that gives volume to the cloth in a way the simulation only computes the inside of the cloth like in the flat version…
-Pockets and zips would need to be somehow stitched (Vertex parent!?)
-Folds… would stiffness scaling helps!?

What solution you’ve recommend to simulate this kind of cloth, even if it is without the cloth modifier or not totally based in it?

i’m curious about an answer, too. the toy of a tool i use in conjunction with Blender supports these types elements, so i was wondering how to do the same thing in Blender. i’ve tried using pinned vertex groups, but i haven’t been able to change their flexibility at all despite changing some settings i thought should do it.

I think you would do that with textures. Unwrap your model and create textures. To fake your details you would use colormaps, normalmaps, specularmaps, reflection, mirror etc…

If you really want to alter your vertices you can create a texture and apply it as a displacement map.

The really hard thing is to paint the texutures correctly but I guess the better you unwrap your model, the easier it will be to paint.

How many vertices do you already have? Looks high-poly already.

Some nice links to texture tutorials would be nice… anyone? :slight_smile:

painted as textures, i find those details generally look terribly fake. i’ve seen zippers’ teeth do OK, but never any of the others. a textured solution creates new problems with stretching and highly unnatural bending. a button texture on a cloth sim isn’t going to behave at all realistically.

From those images I would say a good approach would be to simply deform the cloth with bones. if you are going for a more or less anime or cartoon look and then you could model in the folds by hand and take the trade off of lack of realism in movement for a more realistic look in the mesh.

The cloth modifier will pull all of that apart. The way to control that however is with vertex groups in the advanced tab of the cloth modifier. This is a way to make parts of the cloth stiff such as seams.
You can create seams and thickness by simply making a fold at the end of the cloth. Don’t try to make the whole thing thicker.

Then you can use a less dense cloth mesh and that will tone down the movement, otherwise you will get very flowing - but realistic - looking cloth. But for some situations such as this you may want to keep it simple. Because the real look can be hard to control and take a long time. If you go with a less dense mesh the cloth object won’t move around quite as much. That with a stiffness setting with vertex groups on the seams to keep them from sagging apart is one approach that is workable.

For the less dense mesh approach pappy has some great tips here:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=147902

I think you could also have success with parenting buttons to a point on the cloth object.

I think that for now you´ll have to follow the tips that Richard gave. Another important thing you must consider is the object scale. Cloth simulation parameters are based on a 1 Blender Unit= 1 meter scale, so don´t forget to make your model in that scale if you need to make the best out of cloth simulation.

In order to play with vertex stiffness you must obviously have an Armature modifier controlling the cloth too.

Hi, first of all let me thank everyone by the advices :wink:

Regarding to the possibility of using textures… this is intended to be as photo-real as possible and with allot of “microscopic” (so to speak) close ups, so they’re not a option :no:

Poly count… It’s very high poly :evilgrin:

About the scale, yeah that’s the scale I use for everything.

Regarding to use bones to deform the cloth, that’s the approach I’ve use in Orion Tear.
Sleeves, collars and such were rigged and the Jacket and hood had a simple softbody mesh that handled the simulation, that was vertex parented to the bones and them weight painted to the complex geometry… that actually works real good and real fast (real time) and allows any type of extras that we may want to put in the cloths… this was the same aproach of Proog jacket in Elephants Dream by the way.
I gave a little explanation in Blender art magazine ISSUE 14 Cartoon & Game Engine
The problem is that as more cloth we have more bones we need… it takes a eternity to setup :slight_smile:

When I’ve heard about the Cloth modifier I thought… well my expectations were obviously too high hehe

Thank you all for the help… When time comes to seriuslly work in the rigging of this cloth character I’ll try to find a solution and if I do find one I’ll let you guys know :slight_smile: