Cloth, collision and possibly Pinning - but how

Greetings blender-experts

My brain is frying! I’ve been trying to solve a clothing issue for “ages” but it just won’t comply.

I have a mesh that is my character/‘body’ (with armature and initial animation) and another mesh that is a ‘jacket’ my character is supposed to wear (set to follow the armature). The ‘jacket’ is basically a oversize replica of the character’s torso and arms with an opening in the front and a few other details.

So I figure I have to turn on cloth for the ‘jacket’ and collision for the ‘body’ but when moving ahead in timeline the ‘jacket’-cloth just sort of falls off and thru the ‘body’.

Then I figure I possibly need pinning and assign it to a vertex-group specifying what part of the ‘body’ I want to pin the ‘jacket’ to - but the only vertex-groups I see in the pinning drop-down are some of the weight-paintet areas I have made to make it follow animation of the ‘body’.
The group I actually did create for this specific purpose (selecting everything on torso and arms) does not show up on the list.

I moved my ‘jacket’ to the same layer as the ‘body’ but it made no difference.

WHAT AM I MISSING?

BTW. I am using Blender 2.5

Position of the modifiers on the stack can affect how Cloth and Collision work together. If your body has Collision at the top of the stack, above Armature, Collision is being calculated for the body before it moves, so the Cloth won’t follow. Best way to sort this out is to post the .blend, though.

Thank you chipmasque

I see your point about posting the .blend but I can’t get to it the next day or so (other computer).
Besides that I feel that it is very useful in this type of forum to be able to read answers to other similar problems - so I think it would be great to have a walk-through of sorts.
…but then again. I can see why each .blend-file quickly becomes tangled up in individual mess that cannot be resolved through a simple question here.

Still! I would very much like to know if my procedure sounds about right? ;

1. Create vertex group on the mesh that the cloth collides with.
  2. And point to that vertex-group in pinning in the cloth-properties for the ‘jacket’-mesh.

I have my ‘body’ collision at the bottom of the stack, by the way.

The pinning group is created on the Cloth mesh, not the collision mesh. Collision objects only need Collision values set. The pinning group for the Cloth mesh basically determines to what extent the mesh actually acts like Cloth during the simulation. Vertices with weight zero act completely like cloth. Those with weight 1.0 do not act like cloth at all (they can then respond fully to other influences, like an armature). Intermediate weights can be used to “tailor” the cloth look, and to have both cloth sim and armature influence the mesh at the same time.

In the famous words of H. Simpson; “D’Oh!”

But that’s exactly what I meant - some (possibly simple) answers may help me a lot before sharing my (misguided) .blend with anyone.

Thanks. I’ll look into this tomorrow.

Sweet! I do not have a perfect result but at least the cloth doesn’t fall off my character any more.

So I think I understand the concept of pinning a little more (I hope).
I previously thought of it this way; the ‘pins’ had to attatch to something underneath the cloth - now I figure the pinning, by vertex group, is to define what parts of the cloth to ‘pin’ somewhere.

The difference may be subtle but when not done correctly it sure means a great deal!

Vertex groups are used this way in a lot of modifiers, fairly consistently, too, which is a good thing. In Shrinkwrap it tells which vertices get “shrunk,” and by how much (so to speak), Mask uses one to modify the extent of the masking. SoftBody uses its “Goal” group much as cloth does with Pinning (but with important differences). Armature is a pretty common one as well with many more vertex groups in play, but also follows the general pattern. In all cases, the vertex group(s) in question is one made up of verts from the object with the modifier on its stack. One of the biggest inconsistencies is where such vertex groups get identified, some in the modifier stack, some in the physics panel, but those get learned pretty quick.

Well, I hope you’re right about that :slight_smile:

At least, I consider this thread solved - and I thank you very much.