Cloth plane to catch a falling rigid body / falls through

goal: a plane clothe collects a falling ball, and deforms depending on ball’s weight/acceleration

but the ball falls through the clothes:

setup 1 : cloth plane (pinned by its edges) + ball rigid body with collision falling = deforms and goes through

setup 2 : cloth plane (pinned by its edges) with passive rigid body settings + ball rigid body with collision falling = ball stays on top of cloth, but the cloth is not deformed by the ball’s weight

setup 3 : cloth plane (pinned by its edges) with collision settings + + ball rigid body with collision falling = deforms and goes through

*increasing the cloth sim steps/quality changes behavior = ball deforms more the clothes but eventually it goes through anyway.

what am I doing wrong?
any suggestions?

file:
untitled.blend (1.0 MB)

The right way is option one, I believe. Though you will need to tweak your settings to allow the ball to stay in the cloth. I suggest subdividing your plane a bunch, increasing the COLLISIONS quality steps to something higher (increase until it works better). And for the ball, play with it’s weight, and make sure its scale is applied.

Report if it helps!

thanks, tried the suggested:

• subdivison = x3
  • collision steps = 30

It still goes through the clothes :frowning:

*rigid body at 1kg, 10k, 0,001kg mass behaves the same :thinking:

After a bit of searching around, I found out that this kind of interaction is hard to do with the current physic engine. The cloth can be influenced by a solid body, but not the other way around. That’s why the ball passes through the cloth.

You may want to try making both the cloth and the balls cloth objects, and give the ball pressure so that it keeps it’s shape. There will be fiddling around to make this works.

Interesting… but look here : asked over 4 and 1/2 years ago but see last answer from Apr 26 '20 …