Cloth Weaver 4.915 for Blender 2.9 - Design clothing for your characters!

Learn more at ClothWeaver.com
*NOTE: License Keys are only required for In-App Updates. No more subscription model. Now a Perpetual License!

Video Tutorial Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_58en5FWAs&list=PLY7tnlwiJ4aiUk7ZjmqC7mQAl0I4u8Z2f

-Clothing Template Library

Ready to dive in? Cloth Weaver comes packed with a growing library of templates to get you started. Easily give your character the essentials; from pants, dresses, swimwear and undergarments to accessories like glasses and handbags! New templates are added regularly.
Get more clothes on the market: https://cgwardrobe.com

-Custom Clothes

The legacy way of crafting clothes can be very time consuming and frustrating.

Cloth Weaver removes the headache of modeling the entire clothing piece. No more roaming through endless dropdown menus, adjusting dozens of parameters and simulation settings.

Easily create your clothing outline, setup the sections to be sewn together and Cloth Weaver takes over the rest in just a few buttons!

Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mng2xPBfr9s&list=PLY7tnlwiJ4aiUk7ZjmqC7mQAl0I4u8Z2f&index=3

-Fabrics & Accessories

com-gif-maker(2)

You don’t get limited to clothing only; With Cloth Weaver you can create entire objects made from fabrics such as bags, purses, tents, towels, etc. We also recommend that you experiment with Cloth Weaver to see what you can come up with!

-Materials, Patterns & Textures

From polyester golf shirts to leather jackets and more, Cloth Weaver’s built-in Blender Cycles material can create a myriad of photo-realistic fabrics. Use our provided patterns and textures or supply your own to bring your clothing to life!

Use our provided patterns and textures or supply your own to design photo-realistic fabrics.

Save/Load Custom Designs:

Easily Export and Import your designs from within the addon

Other Features:

In-App Updates: Cloth Weaver will show an alert in the top status panel when updates are available for download. You can directly download new updates right within the Cloth Weaver panel! There is no more need to spend time opening a web browser, logging in to web portals and manually downloading.

Backup/Restore: Cloth Weaver automatically creates a backup of the current clothing model when you use the “put on clothing” button. This allows you to restore the previous version, providing a faster work-flow and saving time when troubleshooting!

Reflect: Reflects your model on the Z-Axis (mirrors your clothing, swaps left<->right)

Reset UVs: Resets the UV map to the default unwrapping (useful starting out and after adding seams)

Compatibility: Cloth Weaver will work with any character as long as they can be imported into Blender (FBX, 3DS, OBJ, DAE, etc.) Characters work best when they have a lower polygon count. Extremely dense mesh characters might slow down the cloth simulation. Remove any subdivision modifiers before importing into Blender. Known compatible character libraries include but not limited to: Avastar, Blender, Daz3D, IMVU, Make Human, Manuel Bastioni Lab, Poser

Learn more at ClothWeaver.com
Documentation: https://clothweaver.com/documentation/
Get more templates on the market: https://cgwardrobe.com
Community Discord (share ideas, get support, etc) https://discord.com/invite/ZhXyGuS

2 Likes

Looks cool and all, but the pricing uses the same “subscription” nonsense that’s the very reason I stay away from Maya and 3DS MAX.

Kinda defeats the point of the blender open source mantra. That’s why most of us don’t use Maya and/or MAX with their “subscription” schemes.

There’s nothing “scheme”-y about a subscription. It’s a short term contract between you and a content producer. If you aren’t happy with their output, you stop subscribing. On the other hand, there is an impetus on the part of the content producer to keep people subscribing by continuing to put out high quality content. Would you rather someone ask for all of their development costs up front and then disappear with your money?

Code doesn’t write itself. It takes manpower and talent, both of which translate into money in the real world. Even Blender development needs money to keep the wheels spinning.

Even ignoring all of the above, they provide a perpetual license for both indies and enterprise.

This product looks to have some great potential by the way! What I would warn against is charging people just to list on the marketplace. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that business model work in the Blender ecosystem, due to a combination of small market penetration and a general hatred of anything to do with spending money from the community.

Things I would like to see:

Inclusion of a good Delaunay triangulator for cloth sims. Rarely in production are sims done on quad meshes for clothing. The general workflow is to sim with a Delaunay triangulated mesh, and render with a quad mesh that is rigged in some way or another to follow the physics baked onto the more fine tri mesh.

A real time tugging/tweaking function. Bunching/unbunching/collision fixing/etc. need to be able to happen in real time as a sim is running.

Automatic topology generation. Users shouldn’t have to care about anything other than the outlines/curves/darts/etc. of their garments.

There are lots of other features from MD that would be great to have in Blender, but the 3 above are really vital to a good clothing generation workflow IMO.

3 Likes

Looks cool! Interested in custom clothing creation part. So there is a question after looking at tutorial: What`s the point for Odd&Even groups in custom clothing creation process?

Also, the video shows that there is still manual tuning of physics parameters needed… With reverts, checks and vert-by-vert “fixes”. So for now it looks like almost manual setup of physics simulation, with endless trial-and-error (in case of really fancy clothings, not simple shirts)… Not so helpful, to be honest. Creating template plane and adding default collision/cloth modifiers is definitely not the hard part.

I was hoping addon takes care of this. What steps can be eliminated with this addon?

the od/even is to make both parts pull each other in a more or less balanced way and also control how it pulls

2 Likes

No, it’s “renting” an addon that you will continue to pay for permanently until A) you get sick of making payments forever, or B) you run out of money.

These are the reasons Blender is becoming so popular among Maya and MAX users, because of the outrageously priced “subscription” schemes.

Thank you for the critiques and pointers. I was actually not aware that most cloth sims are all tri-based with the quad that just follows it. I will do more research into this. I hope to implement an easy way for users to create a clothing outline without worry of topology as you mentioned above. I will be posting updates in the news page of the main Cloth Weaver website. Thanks again!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the addon doesn’t magically get deleted off of your computer if you stop paying You just lose access to new content and updates. If that bothers you, feel free to go and develop your own competing solution with some alternate dev process that doesn’t require reliable funding. As a hint, though, Blender is the only project in existence that even comes close to offering an experience like their commercial competitors, and it’s only because they’ve cobbled together dozens of other funding sources that allow them to barely keep a dev team active.

There isn’t a serious artist or studio out there who sees a few hundred (or even thousand) dollars a year as a high barrier of entry for a product that increases their productivity by an equal or greater amount unless they are spoiled or fundamentally opposed to the idea of paying for software.

3 Likes

I could quite easily make an addon that does:
a) Setup a cloth simulation with gravity off
b) Turn gravity on.
But I don’t see any reason to make such an addon: You see that the character is in T-stand. Then you use such an addon, and then what then if you give the character another pose? The way the sleeves are falling is completely different than it was in T-post and doesn’t make any sense. I think another approach is needed to make an addon for clothes.

I am paying for good addons (and bad addons by accident). Most are like 20 to 40 pounds and get life-time updates. I am not complaining about that. But to my understanding so far I wouldn’t encourage such practise as shown here;
Such a price, for basically two functions you easily can setup with an addon like for example with pie menu editor. And an addon specialized in clothes that didn’t come to the point to consider Delaunay triangulator but with an advanced marketing is something that looks like out of proportion.

My apology for my English which is my second language.

1 Like

How did Blender become “the only project in existence that even comes close to offering an experience like their commercial competitors”?

By not following the example of others with their “subscription” nonsense.

Newsflash, “serious artists” are switching to Blender because of it, not in spite of it.

Clearly you don’t regard Blender users as “serious artists” or you wouldn’t have made that comment. I guess the “serious” artists can keep paying for the use of their software indefinitely, I’ll stick with Blender.

I think the gold rush has been erupted in Blender since good a year.
The prices for addons are exploding.
That’s just the increase.

I have no problem with paying for addons, good for those who create them to get paid for their work.

I do, however, have a problem with agreeing to a rental agreement whereby they get paid indefinitely, otherwise you can’t use their software.

I just want to buy your addon, not put your kids, grandkids, great-grandkids, etc. through college.

1 Like

I also like to pay for addons.
In the last few years I bought for over 2000$ addons, materials, tuts etc…
That’s just my observation, but the trend is a little bit grazy for a community driven software.
In this case, there is a substance, quixel, etc. subscription more favourable or equally expensive.

As a professionnal, i’d rather buy marvelous designer. The workflow is horrible, it is much more expensive, but it is reliable, can handle dense meshes and has a great realtime sim engine.
In other words, the value for money is more interesting

2 Likes

The subscription model doesn’t work for folks who will only benefit from using the product a few times a year. I’d rather buy a “lite” version or something that maybe doesn’t have all the whiz bang features.
Plus, if you’re bringing in subscription dollars hand over fist, there’s less incentive to innovate IMO. Adobe, for example, is raking in gobs of cash but the updates they’re putting out are pathetic.

The general behavior in the last years has been to favor subscription model among companies. That’s because of economy shrinking which pushes toward searching for a constant income, while letting rogue users go. Customer base pruning and consolidation (so called Pareto rule).
This then happen in parallel with cloud services explosion, which allows minor customer to spend less, and companies to maximize income again, with Adobe apparently being the most aggressive in this strategy…

I don’t get why you’re still harping on this. There is an option to straight up buy this addon.

Why do you care?

Is it effecting you somehow?

edit: I didn’t realize there was an option to buy.

There is most certainly an awfulness associated with subscription software. As in you come to rely on it and then boom, it’s gone or the price has been jacked up.

This subscription argument is ridiculous. There’s two models in these kinds of professions: You have a subscription that updates regularly and often has cloud-based storage or assets, or you pay a lot upfront every time you need an update or additional packages of content. Neither are right or wrong, it just depends how you (or your company) like to budget. Many, many people use Adobe’s subscription model because it provides features like Typekit or the Adobe asset library. Others didn’t like the switch and moved to alternatives or older permanent releases. Meanwhile my company is getting sticker shock from the $4,500 it’ll cost us to update one of our programs to the newest version.

1 Like