Cloth wont move fully with Armature

Hello all, im not totally a noob in blender, i have experience on some rigging and clothing simulation. i however encountered this issue when parenting my plane (turned into pants, i saw this yt tutorial) to my armature with empty groups and a data transfer effecting the vertex groups. the issue is the the front faces move accordingly, but the backfaces remain static. i want them to follow the front faces like ordinary pants, and less of a cloak. any help would be appreciated XD thanks!

Backfaces don’t work with armatures- you can use a solidify modifier to add thickness to your plane, which will allow it to have all front facing faces, which will all work with the armature :slight_smile:

Hello and welcome to BlenderArtists!

There are two solutions to work around this.

Solution 1

Manually weight-paint your mesh’s vertex groups (per bone).

Solution 2

While in edit-mode, move your inner leg face (the faces the legs touch each other) vertices a slight further from each other. This will prevent the automated deform weights from affecting the other leg’s vertices.

This might not look as visually appealing, but even a distance of 0.001 can improve the accuracy of deform operations.

thank you all for your very helpful feedback! however, one issue out the way, another arises! the faces are moving accordingly, however a select part of the left pant leg is attached somehow to a piece of the right one

Sounds like you missed a vertice or more while weight painting. Even a small value higher then 0.0 can make a vertice want to follow the higher weight painted bone.

Let me share a cool Blender trick I learned a while back.

1. Turn on the In Front armature setting to allow them render priority over other objects.

1. While in Object Mode, select your armature object, then SHIFT select your character mesh, then go into Pose Mode. You should then see your character mesh in Weight Paint Mode while your armature is in Pose Mode simultaneously. This allows very robust and time saving of discovering which verticies are affect or not by moving your bones dynamically while paining (or not painting) to see which are affected.