Cloud Tutorial

Hello people,

I am pretty new to Blender, my sign up date says I’ve been here a while but but thats because I was only checking this out and then went somewhere else at the time.

I’m a 2D compositor in the Film/Tv industry. But have taken up an interest in 3D.

Recently at work we have been making a lot of clouds for a movie and our effects guys have been loaded down with a lot of shots leaving all the extra stuff we need to composite left till last minute. So over the past couple of weeks I have gotten into Blender and learnt how to make clouds. Started off with Nick Keelines Cloud Generator which was awesome and then learned how to tweak the settings to get what I want.

I found there was not a lot of tutorials out there that explained and taught me how to make the look that I wanted so I decided to try and make my own tutorial. This is my first tutorial and so ya, it may not be the best but I of course am open to critics as that is how I will learn.

Thanks and I hope some people get something out of this!

Tutorial:

Here is a comp of the render with a picture of a sky with real clouds in the distant background.

Nice job. That’s a very convincing effect.

Steve S

Thank you. Did you find my explanation to be helpful or confusing?

I just sort of skimmed through the tutorial. I’ll have to go back and watch the entire thing.

Steve S

Looks great. Really amazing stuff! Did you end up actually rendering out cloud passes for the project you’re working on? It’d be great to see if Blender was used professionally and what your render times were.

Yes, currently I am using some clouds I have rendered out for a shot and they will probably make it into the movie as my supervisors like it.

Looks great. Really amazing stuff! Did you end up actually rendering out cloud passes for the project you’re working on? It’d be great to see if Blender was used professionally and what your render times were.

Tut was okay, you trailed off at the end kind of mumbling. Need to be more deliberate in your speech of what you are doing.
As for the technical side, I would just reduce the size of the plane to only be the size that your camera sees (and therefore you can reduce number of particles as well). Everything else just takes processing time.
Thanks for sharing, only take this as a critique, not criticism.
I’m not the best at tuts myself. It is a craft and takes practice and time.

Sorry, ya if you couldn’t tell at the beginning I was nervous and by the end of the video I almost forgot I was recording which is why I started mumbling to myself, sorta. But yes I agree. Watching it again myself if I were to do it again I would try and explain better and more in detail what each setting does to my knowledge. Yes tutorials would seem to be an art, we’ll see how much practice I get though. Not planning on making a lot of them. Thanks for your thoughts!