Cloudscape

Making clouds with Mantaflow, and scattering them with geometry nodes.

I had two lighting setups, one for midday and one for sunset. The final image above uses both in the compositor. I then had to clean up the weird artifacts you can see in the top center of the two renders.

Pretty surprised by how well geometry nodes handled volume VDBs; I half expected it to tell me there was no geometry to distribute. Still have the horizon issue. There appears to be a hard limit to how far Cycles will render. Even if you set the clipping distance out to a million meters, and have objects there, they won’t show up.

16 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Those clouds look NICE!

Horizon issue can be somewhat mitigated with atmospheric haze and depth of field. As you seems to have done so here.

I think another solution which fakes curvature of planet a bit is to have cloud plane/cube angled towards horizon/vanishing point so empty horizon wont be so visible.

There could be also some scaling applied to clouds depending how far they are from camera.

Thanks!

Yes, I used a simple cube with a homogeneous volume shader for distant haze, and a very slight DOF to soften the edges in the distance.

I’ve tried the scaling and tilting in the past, but at that time I was doing clouds primarily with volume shaders on a large cube. I never found anything that worked well for dealing with the horizon issue, at least nothing I was happy with. I’ll have to give those tricks a try with VDB clouds; should be fairly simple with geometry nodes.

1 Like

I have also had my struggles with horizon and clouds. Nowadays i use random clouds which are bit modified from CGMatter cloud tutorial.