Coding a Blur effect ?

Does somebody know how to code a blur effect for the camera ?
(like in “prince of persia sands of time”)

in game or in an animation :o

this is the game engine forum, so I’d assume that is the intended version

the answer is

YOU CAN’T

… not in blender at least

[have a nice day]

If you modified the source code you could…

Ok, no blur effect this year :smiley: (but maybe somebody could try to fake it…)

You can sort of fake a blur effect by shaking the camera around really fast. Best way to do this is using the dLoc channels in an IPO. This sort of blur may be useful for some things but not many. It would be good to give the impression of dazzed vision (after a blow to the head) for example, but its more a double-vision effect than a proper blur. :-?

Keith. 8)

I read something about acumulative blur or buffer for the game engine… it is included in the Tuhopuu 2 build of Blender. I am not sure, but you can check it out at the forums at www.blender.org. Maybe that feature is still present in Tuhopuu 3… Check out the “Testing Builds” forums…

%| But again, I am not sure…

–AFTER A WHILE OF SEARCHING–

Success! (well, at least I found that the feature really exists!)
Check out the images at this post:
http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4278&start=0
Specially the “accum buffer” one :wink:

yeah nice but that is a motion blur not a blur from a specific transparent texture :frowning:

Thanks Fred_Pyo ! It’s incredible !
Is there a way to put all Tuhopuu 2’s good things in blender ? :o
Or maybe in ultimate blender :wink: ?

Siegel

yeah nice but that is a motion blur not a blur from a specific transparent texture

Your rignt Siegel, but if we set up a really small amount of motion blur, we could achieve cool sfx… not so far from what i’m looking for :wink:

ohhh… Ok, so maybe I’m missing your point numaQ, what kind of blur do you want? Like, depth of focus blur?

I don’t really know how the features from tuhopuu are passed from version to version… but the code for that effect is for sure somewhere in the CVS for tuhopuu 2 (if that still exists)… it’s just a matter of compiling bullet + ultimate blender + blur funkyness… Of curse, there must be some debugging to be done… but I think it’s possible.

I think he’s taking about realtime glow. It wouldn’t be too hard to implement, you just have to have knowledge of OpenGL. :slight_smile:

It would work like this:

Render scene to texture.

Draw scene.

“Jitter” texture (paste it in multiple places across the screen, using additive blending.

Voila! if done correctly, it could run very quickly. :smiley:

Hmm you can fake it. If i remember correctly sutabi (i think it was him…) made a script to do motion blur. Back in the 2.25 days :stuck_out_tongue: Talk to him, he might still have it.

Lemmy said

I think he’s taking about realtime glow. It wouldn’t be too hard to implement,

That’s it Lemmy ! Could it be done with a (not too big :smiley: ) python script used in the game engine ?

Blender_owl said

sutabi (i think it was him…) made a script to do motion blur.

Sutabi, did you made this script ? Could you post it again ? Could it work in 2.37a ?

Many thanks to all for your answers !!!

It could be done, in fact I tried to do it once, but it was WAAAY to slow.

See the thread here:
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40492

I’ve since abandoned trying to implement glow, but maybe someone else could… :slight_smile:

The best way would be to modify the source. (If only I could get blender to compile… :x ) :stuck_out_tongue:

That said, it could be done in python, you would just need to have realtime texture access and some sort of rendering pipeline or “screen grab” access.

Get rendering from rendering pipeline.
Blur (as I described above).
Set blur as texture for a plane in front of the camera.
Make it all happen in realtime (the hard part) :stuck_out_tongue: .

Those blurs are also used in UT engine, Doom3, Half Life2 and are not coded blur effects, those are textures with disorted meshes which cause some kind of effect that can be made by raytracing glas materials, but faked with reflection textures and disorted meshes like some people already did witht he water effect script. :stuck_out_tongue: