Coffee pot

Hey guys, another recently rendered scene.

I think the roughness of the aluminium is a little too high even at 0.2, shall drop it to 0.1 or 0.15 to see how it renders.

I am going to tweak the lighting as it’s a little too dark, I only used a Key light behind the Camera, along with a few planes outside the scene (which I re-used from another project)

Any idea’s or area’s to fix? 5000 passes and still noisy…

Make it a little bit more reflective.

You also may want to put a tiny bevel on some of those edges to get some highlights.

Nice job! Looking really nice. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure that’s it actually. 0.2 should be perfect for aluminum. Maybe a slight micro faceted bump map would help. Jut to break up the highlights. Really, what it seems like to me is that there is just nothing in the scene for it to reflect except for what looks like a fairly even colored back ground. This is a common pitfall of making reflective surfaces. I would copy some of the background objects and move them around the front side to give it something to reflect. Of course, make another copy of the object just to the right of the screen (i’m assuming it’s a chair) and move that to the other side of the table too. I think that will help a lot.

The other thing I noticed is that the surface of the cup needs a fresnel input in the color slot of the glossy shader. Really, all surfaces should have a fresnel input. If you want to have a more mirrored surface, use higher IOR values like from 1.6 to 2.0 and above. But normally, it should be set lower in the 1.2 to 1.4 range for non metal objects. The thing to remember is that all surfaces reflect light it’s just that the fresnel effect causes the reflections to only appear at the very sides of the object as the surface faces away from you eye. The more reflective, the less this affect is apparent but never the less, it is there.

It’s funny because I actually had the opposite impression. First things first, key lights that come from the same direction as the camera will kill just about any scene. This is why pictures taken with the built in flash always look so flat. Always put you key-light off to the side so it causes shadows to be cast across the surfaces. These shadows will give your object shape and definition and will also help define the mood.

Turn off “Progressive” in the sampling settings of the render panel. that was the old way of doing things and the new way offers way more control. You can now add more samples to the feature that it looking noisy to you. in this case I would try adding more samples to the ‘Mesh Light’ feature. In the ‘Light Paths’ settings, you can turn down the diffuse bounces to something like 3 or 4 and glossy to 1. The rule I always follow with reflective surfaces is that unless you need to be able to identify the reflected image of the object you are looking at reflecting back in the reflection of another object, you will never need to set your reflection bounces higher then one. Just think of the ray bouncing off a reflected surface and hitting another surface; do you really need to see more bounces? By the way, as ridiculous as that situation may seem, glass actually does this very thing. The reflections actually bounce back and fourth inside the front and back sides of the glass. Keep that in mind when making glass.

Also, turn off DOF. The effect isn’t strong enough on the foreground elements to warrant it’s use. You’re background is the only thing out of focus so this would be better as a post effect. This is what’s causing all the noise in the background. Generally, DOF should be saved for the final render after you get everything looking sweet. Then you can just, turn up the AA samples and sit back and let it cook.

Thanks! Shall embrace as much of that as possible.

As for bevelling the edges, that’s a no go as the real coffee pot here in front of me, has no such thing. I get the whole idea of how it would bounce more light, but it wouldn’t be realistic or true.

I need to knock some of the gloss out of the black plastic as well.

But cheers!

I duplicated a few objects in the scene, reduced the roughness of the aluminium from 0.2 to 0.1, which did help matters imo.

But offsetting the Key light helped a huge amount, along with placing another almost perpendicular and changing the colour generated to warm up the scene.

The cups, well that’s more complicated, gloss&diffuse + Fresnel&Diffuse = material output which has given a pretty dam nice material short of texturing it with coffee stains, etc.

http://i.imgur.com/0w9x797l.jpg