Cog's Quick Tutorial #3 Surface Tension on Water

(cog) #1

Hi all,

As promised I have published my 3rd Cog’s Quick Tutorials on creating surface tension on water. It’s available from my website in the tutorials section.

http://www.cogfilms.com/images/ST-0067.jpg

www.cogfilms.com

Enjoy.

Cog

(Spin) #2

I am looking at it now dude. Thanks!

(Marty_D) #3

Maybe we could use a dedicated place for posting tutorials / tutorial announcements. The forum is so busy these days your post was already pushed off the front page. The only reason I noticed was by accidentally going to page 2.

Like you I find time at a premium so I only follow tutorials of projects that I’m working on at the moment. This one will have to wait. Again, though, if there were a dedicated area the site could be searched when there is a need.

Thanks for all the hard work too. You always seem to have good insight with these projects. :slight_smile:

(DracoFodder) #4

Cog, just read through your (excellent) tutorial. I havnt tried it yet, but when you go to make the surface tension displacement map, you are using a single white square feather blended to black on the edges.

If I understand your thought, when you have multiple objects in the water you must have multiple displacement maps. And can therefore only have as many objects as there are texture slots left open.

Could your technique work as well if you did a UV map of the scene from above? eg. the uvmap unwrap option “from window”. Then you’d have all objects in the liquid, and could create a master displacement map?

I’m asking, when I should be trying it. But, my materials skill is not that great, and I’m not certain if this wouldnt just introduce those jagged edges you were trying to avoid.

(cog) #5

Hi Marty,

I have to agree the General Forum is so busy now that it’s easy for these tutorial announcements to get lost. You’ve probably noticed that I continually direct people to my site, because I have total control of that and can therefore be assured that it’s correct. Trying to find all the forums and posts that promise to have reliable tutorial lists has become pointless or almost impossible anyway.

The General forum at Elysiun has become …too general…

Perhaps we need both a Learners Forum (for instant questions and solutions) and a locked tutorial forum, which users can’t ask questions on, but tutorial writers can submit there training materials, or links, via a moderator.

I wonder what others think?

Cog

(cog) #6

Hi DracoFodder,

You know I’ve not yet run out of texture slots with any of my materials but it could happen. Fortunately with this I think more than about 8 objects in the water would require the camera to be far enough away to make the need for surface tension to be replaced with wake. The other thing that could be done is to combine several objects as one surface tension mask thus cutting down the number of slots used. I’ve recently noticed that the mask image itself can be smaller (512x512) in the example file available from the tutorial. Whereas before my images were 2048x2048 as a minimum. So I know I could go up to that size for a single mask.

Anyway, I hope that ramble makes sence.

Cog

(sagat) #7

well done cog. I have been following your tutorials for some time now

(PhSuprtonic) #8

Perhaps we need both a Learners Forum (for instant questions and solutions) and a locked tutorial forum, which users can’t ask questions on, but tutorial writers can submit there training materials, or links, via a moderator.

I wonder what others think?

YES YES YES! I have had a heck of a time learning Blender as well as I have because the tutorials are so unorganized, and the ones at blender3d.org are so outdated. We’ve got to push for this… I would love to see it!

Cog, your site is incredible! I really respect you and all the others who take the time to put together these tuts. There is so much to explore and I can’t wait to dive into your site in more detail.

PhSuprtonic

(womball) #9

I am going to have to play around with this sometime soon Cog. And btw Sagat: “TIGER UPPERCUT!”

(sagat) #10

thanks :slight_smile: you still remember our favourite game

(cog) #11

Hi all,

I have edited a slight addition to Cog’s Quick Tutorial #3.

http://www.cogfilms.com/tutorials/surface-tension/surfaceT-mask-texture2.jpg

The texture has been set to Extend in the texture settings.

You can aways find the latest version, spelling correction, or correct tutorial directly from my site.

www.cogfilms.com

Cog