Coins

Things have been pretty quiet on my site lately. However, I do have a good reason for that. I’ve been hard at work on a new tutorial DVD for CG Masters.

After the release I’ll be back to producing a ton of new free tutorials.

In any case, I thought I’d show one of the props that will be created for the DVD which is this coin.

Although creating this (very simple) scene wont be included, the creation of the coin is. Incidentally, after finishing the DVD you’d have no problem creating a simple scene like this though, oh and i’ve just spotted that BlenderGuru appears to be making a tutorial which covers a scene like this, or at least I think so. In any case here’s a brief rundown…

BRIEF RUNDOWN -

• Add a plane for the ground, add passive physics.
  • Add a flattened cylinder mesh for the coin and add some active physics.
  • Duplicate it lots of times then run a simulation where they all fall down and create a pile of coins.

I realise that’s somewhat of an oversimplification. If there are any questions i’m happy to answer them.

Anyway thanks for looking. Now back to finishing all these tutorials! :slight_smile:
Aidy.

Very nice work, Annex2Nothing! Your coin model looks very nice, I’m looking forward to seeing the tutorial!

By the way, the material is also quite good, I like the realistic spec map. It may be my eyes, but are you using multiple spec maps to add variation, or are they all using the same one? It would be great to learn how to setup a node shader to randomly select an image texture out of a group to add more realism to duplicated objects.

Thanks James! I really appreciate the comment.

There is only the one spec map on them. It could be the slightly different angles you get showing different parts of the specular shine.

However, if you did want to go the route that you suggest there is an input node called ‘object info’, this has a ‘random’ output that might be able to be used in conjunction with an offset with a noise texture that is being multiplied with the specular map for example.

Something like this…

The crux of this is the vector math node adding together the generated coords and the random output. All of the cubes on the right are all facing the exact same direction and all have the exact same material yet they all look different due to the random output. I’m using a diffuse shader here just to make it clear what the results are.

Apologies if that isn’t very clear, although hopefully might give you some options to explore if you think it might help :slight_smile:

To reiterate though, this isn’t the setup i’m using above, i’m using a simple single spec map. :slight_smile:

Aidy.

Thank you for this description, Aidy! It’s extremely helpful! I’ve seen the “object info” node with it’s random output being used before, but only to create a random color. I’m sure this will be very useful to me on some upcoming projects. Thank you again!

That’s great James! Glad I could help! :smiley: I’d absolutely love to see what you come up with! Thanks! :slight_smile: