Cold-fusion is back .. for bomb-making

Hmm… unexplained voids in the palladium packing, eh?

http://popularmechanics.com/science/research/2004/8/dangerous_science/print.phtml

And for those who might want to know more: Cold Fusion Times is currently at:

http://world.std.com/~mica/cft.html

So unfortunately, the very technology that could provide a permanent end to the “petroleum problem” was in fact put under the rug … until of course it became of interest for producing bombs. Isn’t it funny how the military mind works?

my first response to this thread was, “Cold-fusion? That sounds so familiar…OH YEAH! I remember that crap!” I couldn’t believe anyone was still pursuing that stuff. This cracks me up. I’ll believe cold-fusion can make bombs when i see it!

bombs on the one side - free energy on the other.

Pons and Fleischmann were, and are, highly respected physicists, and their explorations were into an unexplained phenomenon whose existence is by no means a new discovery. Peculiarities in electrolytic reactions involving hydrogen (heavy water or not) have been documented by the Royal Society in the 1800’s. Verifiable scientific papers even published this year continue to document anomalies.

Whether Drs. P&F were “premature” in their going-public with the information is debatable. But what is known is that their findings were immediately classified and the Dr’s were basically told to shut up. Since they both work for a University, which receives a lot of “black” money as most Universities do, they willingly did so. (They continue to discuss and publish, but carefully limit themselves.) But the discrediting was basically a cover story. (Not surprising, really. And maybe even smart.)

The antique documents and proceedings remain. And, enough parallel research is going on elsewhere, including parts of the world that are outside of the authority of the U.S. Defense Department, to confirm that something as-yet unexplained is going on here. No one, publicly at least, is yet sure exactly what. All of this is “good science.”

Kindly don’t overlook the importance of discovery, of absolute surprises, of completely-unexplained experimental results, in all of science. No one “expected” a Leyden bottle on the other side of a laboratory to spark when a bottle on the other side was discharged. It was, for a very long time, an “unexplained phenomenon” before it became … Radio.

Even in the research areas of “hot” fusion, there are a lot of absolutely-counterintuive, counter-theoretical things. For example, no one knows why a fusion reaction becomes much easier to generate in the presence of atoms of iron. No one can offer a theory that encompasses “nuclear catalyics,” least of all one involving iron (which is the “least energy state” atom), but … there it is. Documented. Verified. Unexplained.

In this world where we tend not to look for anything without explaining it first, I find this rather refreshing. A mystery! :slight_smile:

I’ve been following CF for some time and it will happen sooner than latter that a practical way of accompl the process wil be developed.

I’m going with Sundialsvc4 on this one. It’s possible that the electrolytic reaction of the Palladium to the Deuterium is producing nothing more than an unknown chemical reaction causing the as-yet unexplained thermal temperature rise. There could be a catalytic reaction somewhere in there (and catalytic chemistry is not very well understood; there’s a lot more that we could do with it if and when the technology advances).

I find it interesting though that the Popular Mechanics report indicates that the DOE is taking another look at cold fusion. If true then maybe something is going on at the quantum level of a most interesting kind.

They have minds?!

They have minds?![/quote]
Minds for sure. Brains hmm…
:wink:

Martin

They have minds?![/quote]
Minds for sure. Brains hmm…
:wink:
Martin[/quote]

There are definitely two words that don’t exist in the military vocabulary:

“THEN what?” :frowning:

What is known is that there is far too much energy being released than the present hypotheses account for, including chemical explanations. Observe that this does not de-facto mean that it is an “atomic” process. All that is known for certain is that it is a prodigious energy-release and that it is not explainable.

Plainly, if the DOD is expressing a renewed interest in it, it suggests that the atomic-reaction hypothesis has not been dismissed. Certainly many of the non-classified papers that you can read (and I have no clearance, myself, nor would I want one) are repeatedly expressing the opinion that something atomic is going on.

One of the more intriguing, and I think quite balanced, suggestions that have been made is, “Why do we suppose that ‘fission’ and ‘fusion’ are the only processes that could be classified as ‘atomic?’” It has long been known that atoms can exist at high and low-energy states, and the suggestion is that maybe we’re unlocking some of that “hidden” energy, say by inducing some kind of state change. Such a process would not be categorized as chemical, because it does not involve the making or breaking of molecular bonds. But it might generate energy!

Hypotheses abound, looking for data. And just to keep things interesting, every now and then a pot boils dry. Or explodes.

It’s just a mystery. A bona-fide, modern day, scientific mystery.

Hypotheses abound, looking for data. And just to keep things interesting, every now and then a pot boils dry. Or explodes.

Science fiction is often a prelude to science fact. There’s a story by Lester Del Rey callled Nerves; it describes an isotope that blows up even in the smallest amounts. The story describes the inventor as trying to make a harmless isotope and coming up with this instead. Of course, he, his lab assistants, and his lab vaporize a billionth of a second later!

Sooner or later some bright boy (or girl) with an encephalitic forhead is going to make something like this. It would serve them right if fact followed fiction in this case.

In other words, the very last (and I do mean VERY LAST) thing the world needs is a cheap easy way to make tritium!! It’s bad enough that the average college kid can cobble together a 3Kton baby nuke out of some pipe and a few sticks of TNT. Fortunately purified uranium is still not easy to come by (unless perhaps you speak fluent Russian and have deep pockets??) We don’t need anyone enriching the process and shooting for H-bomb status!

Say what you will concerning the military, they have the bucks backing them to do as they please. That said, I think it is poor judgment to exclude the scientific community of culpability in these matters. What’s the difference of minds without brains or brains without minds.
On the matter of cold fusion, these experiments were reported months ago in various online science sites. Interesting that none of them reported heat or explosions at that time.

Government pigs, now that it could be use for bombs, they have an interest in it :<

Interesting how toward the bottom they link to an article that says, “Two deaths, two mysteries.” One was a brutal murder and the other also clearly has nothing to do with a CF explosion. I think they’re trying to hype up something crazy to sell magazines.

Cold Fusion has proven to generate helium, which would indicate an atomic reaction. I don’t think it’s impossible, just way underdeveloped ATM. The previously open section of the Los Alamos Lab website that talked about Cold Fusion was classified. I wonder if they’re working on it too.

What has certainly come out, repeatedly, is that the effect is not readily repeatable as many assumed it would be. Also, when the reaction (whatever it is) does occur it is quite violent. Even in the 1800’s the effect was not easily repeatable. In other words, we see a shadowy shape on the other side of the curtain but we do not yet really know what it is nor how to conjure it at-will. The most plausible theory is that it’s a fusion reaction, because “fission” and “fusion” are the only “atomic” processes we know, but there is evidence in favor of that and, at the very same time, an unexplained absence of expected evidence of that. It could be Something Else.

But whatever it is, apparently the DOE thinks it can make bombs with it. :frowning: