Cold Wood inspired Kitchen

Hello!

I’m working on a school project, a relatively open course that gives students the opportunity to do some kind of project that they think is interesting. Of course, I chose 3d modeling because that’s what I enjoy doing on my spare time. I don’t think so many have seen me here before but I have previously been working on Spaceships and interiors such as kitchens and bathrooms. Great combination right?

This time I chose to do a kitchen. Since i’m supposed to challenge myself during the course I chose do a kitchen with a large flat surface and windows that provide an opportunity to light up the kitchen. But unfortunately, I have encountered more problems than I expected. The project is quite a long way from being finished because the kitchen has to look as realistic as possible and there are many things in the kitchen that hasn’t achieved a realistic look.

So these are the things the i’m concerned with:

Because of my lack of experience when it comes to light rigging i dont think the way i’ve chosed to light the room is the best so i cant figure out how to reduce the abnormal amount of light reflection on the table legs and any other chrome object in the scene. (It’s obvious it reflects the amount of light it does, because my light setup is right behind the camera, but like i said, i can’t come up with any ideas how to else light the room with a nice touch.)

This is the first time i’m making a room with windows and global lightning such as a sky texture and a sun. It feels like the light that’s coming from the outside of the room tends to destroy any other natural light source and its shadows.

I’ve had a hard time working with wooden shaders to make them appear realistic, but as i mentioned earlier it’s still something i’m working hard on.

So, the amount of problems might outweigh the request on feedback and this question might fit better in a support forum, but if i’m not wrong this section is a blend of work in progress (which this is) and focused feedback on finished work. So here i am, stuck in the middle of nowhere. I would love any kind of feedback, this is a important project for me! :slight_smile:

The modeling is very good! I think you’re right about the lighting needing some work. I’m really not an expert, but if I was at that point, the approach I might try is:

• Remove all lighting, including from windows

• Add light, 1 source at a time:

• Add the light from the windows back - Hopefully it looks realistic, as though inside a house with no lights.

• Add the ceiling lights, very slightly warm(yellow)

• Try some different lighting setups behind and to the left of camera:

• An emmiting image to give variation; something that matches like:

• A bright source pointed away from the scene and reflected off something with some texture/shapes

At present the light shining into the scene looks a bit uniform and diffuse, which it wouldn’t usually be inside a house.

Let us know how you get on, post any progress!

I think your scene could really benefit with some contrast.The color of the chairs, floor and wall paneling are exactly the same. Try changing the color of wood. Maybe put a solid back on the chairs the space in between is a little distracting. Great work though.

The modelling looks pretty interesting though i really like the 3d texturing as it is well rendered!

I really like this, but agree with the previous critiques. Also, I noted that the background images for the window are the same picture in the doorway and panel door. changing this up would add to the realism of the scene.

Looks good, but agree with other comments; not seen anyone comment on the grain on the chairs, but it’s going the wrong way.

I would probably go with a darker countertop and a lighter backsplash. I prefer a black granite with white countertops. You have a few upper cabinets with massive doors, and you’re going to need some kind of hardware on the drawers. You can sometimes get away without door pulls on flat cabinets like that (rarely in a kitchen), but you have to have something to open the drawers.

It looks like you’re off to a good start. Good luck with your school project.

Thanks for all the replies and feedback, i’ve taken your advice and fixed some both new and old textures. The light setup is completely new with world lightning from both right and left directions to make it appear more realistic.

I would probably go with a darker countertop and a lighter backsplash. I prefer a black granite with white countertops. You have a few upper cabinets with massive doors, and you’re going to need some kind of hardware on the drawers. You can sometimes get away without door pulls on flat cabinets like that (rarely in a kitchen), but you have to have something to open the drawers.

It looks like you’re off to a good start. Good luck with your school project.

I made some hardware on the drawers but i’m not completely satisfied with the result, i may the more modern way like the handles is “cut in” through the drawer wood. (Dont know how to describe exactly).

I have some other issue though. If i put a plane with a glass material at the window it completly destroys the light into the room and makes the curtains look black and unnatural. I’ve tried to work with the IOR and such but no luck…

What i’ve done.

• New dark oak flooring with bump and gloss map.

• New lightning (could use some more work though)

• New color on the wood materials to match the interior set.

• Changed the background to a more matching one.

This is what i’ve done so far, i have some more work to do on the lightning but it feels like i’m heading the right direction. I have about 2,5 months so finish it up and create a finished product.

Any more feedback on the recent render? Tips on lightning etc.

(2000 samples)

You call that bump? Lol.
Anyways, a very interesting scene. The only dirth is the lack of specularity from the floor, and the apparent lack of interesting lighthing. Imo, if the lighting is interesting, the viewer looks at the image a little longer.

Idk why, but it looks a little flat…

Maybe I can help you in your school project. But I can spare only half an hour today. And the time differences…shudder. And is that texture from CGTex’s?

Edit : 2.5 months!!! Gosh. More like it can be finished in 2.5 days…lol

Sincerely
-swaschan

Edit # 2: I took some pains of running it through the compositor. 5 mins yielded this. Cheers…

And I’m sorry I may have hijacked your thread.

Edit # 3: Mods, sorry for double posting, please delete the post below this.

Cheers
-swaschan

You call that bump? Lol.
Anyways, a very interesting scene. The only dirth is the lack of specularity from the floor, and the apparent lack of interesting lighthing. Imo, if the lighting is interesting, the viewer looks at the image a little longer.

Idk why, but it looks a little flat…

Maybe I can help you in your school project. But I can spare only half an hour today. And the time differences…shudder. And is that texture from CGTex’s?

Edit : 2.5 months!!! Gosh. More like it can be finished in 2.5 days…lol

Sincerely
-swaschan