Colinux and Instinctive Blender

Hi

I don’t know if anyone will be interested – but I have managed to compile Instinctive Blender under Colinux/RealVNC running Debian/KDE in windows 2000 (Linux running in a Windows window basically.)

I did this because I was fighting with the z-blur/DOF and wanted to try out the DOF feature in Instinctive Blender. People at blender.org didn’t seem to be able to get I.Blender to compile under windows (I don’t know anything about doing that anyway). After a lot of work – I’m not a Linux user and my hard disk isn’t big enough to warrant a full Linux partition – and giving up with trying to install nvidia drivers, I apt-get installed the debian mesag3 library, built I.Blender and WOW it worked. The DOF does work but not quite sure how to pinpoint the area of focus as yet.

Just to let you know it can be done in the Colinux environment by someone who doesn’t really know what they are doing!!! Now to see if the are any other Linux proggies I can play with… :stuck_out_tongue:

lucky bastard :))

hope the same happens to me on OSX…

If you don’t have enough space to install Linux on harddrive run Knoppix.

Instinctive Blender seems to have some nice features but I don’t think it has all the features of the 2.34 build as it has been developed separately. I doubt the save files will be compatible either.

With external renderers you can get DOF anyway.

Yeh I have tried Knoppix but I couldn’t get it to work with my wirless setup - so I couldn’t download blender.
The main reason I tried colinux was the fact I didn’t have to reboot each time I wanted to try something on linux - just fire up the window and download the software. Its ment as a curiosity thing in my case - not as a replacement of windows.
I didn’t see instinctive blender as a replacement for Blender 2.34 - simply wanted to see how it handled DOF in the internal renderer.
I went to art school to learn Maya and usually due to time issues (Maya’s renderer can take for ever) ended up rendering a seperate z-channel using a shader and reintergrating the channels in Maya Fusion (Anyone know of any freeware that does this?) and then importing the file with its new z channel into after effects. I have used this method with blender with good results. I like this method as you can mess about with the greyscale ‘z’ channel when its still a normal file before making it a real z channel.
I think I would still like to see DOF built into the internal renderer in the future though. Cheers.

There’s a ZCompose plugin for Blender’s sequence editor that can blend images together based on their zBuffer channel.

Martin

Is there a way to save renders with depth information? You can probably do DOF blurring in an external editor like GIMP if you could.

AFAIK, the only format that Blender supports which stores the z buffer would be the IrisZ format (which is kind of a hack anyway).

Could be wrong though.

Martin