COLLADA importer doesn't work

hey guys,

I just download and install Python 2.4.4 (not 2.5.3) and it just work!
i tried collada 1.3 and 1.4 both did not give me issue.
so maybe you can try reinstall python 2.4.4 rather then the latest version because Blender don’t recognise the latest Python I don’t know why.

give it a try.

Well, congratulations!

I had Python 2.5 (Intel Mac, OS 10.4) and Blender 2.45. Trying to import Collada with script for 1.3.1 would do nothing; import Collada 1.4 would crash instantly.

So, I downloaded and installed Python 2.4.4, and a Blender 2.45 compiled against Python 2.3. Result: program doesn’t crash, but doesn’t import, either. In the best of cases I get the names of stuff but no actual mesh.

The problem I’m really trying to solve is to set up an idea in DAZ Studio 1.7.1.6, and then export it to Blender for fine-tuning. All I ask for is the geometry, the textures, and the rigging. Is anyone here succeeding at that?

September 24th update:

(a) DAZ Studio 1.7.1.6 exports according to Collada 1.4, so Blender import according to Collada 1.3 is moot.

(b) After fiddling with the pythonpath --thank you!-- I succeeded in convincing Mac OS 10.4.10 to accept MacPython 2.4, and not 2.5, as the active version of Python.

(c) When I launch a version of Blender, and then, in a Scripts pane, System Console, ask: “import sys; print sys.version;” it answers the version of Python with which the Blender package was built.

(d) If I move the MacPython 2.5 folder to the trash, and then try to launch a Blender version that was built with Python 2.5, it doesn’t launch at all. Blender packages built with Python 2.3 launch normally, whether the OS offers Python 2.4 or 2.5.

(e) At http://download.blender.org/release/ the Intel Mac versions of Blender start at 2.42, and are offered as py23 or py25, no py24. Yet, at http://pythonmac.org/packages/ no Python 2.3 is offered for Intel Macs (only 2.4 and 2.5).

(f) Therefore, the best Blender/Python combination I can try is a Blender 2.42 to 2.45, with MacPython 2.4.4 active. Blender launches, but, no import. The colladaImport14.py script internally claims to work with Blender 2.41 onwards.

Conclusion: Most high, most mighty, and most puissant coders !
{Hoehrer, Meta-Androcto, Ideasman42, Pieter Visser, …}
Tom Telos throws before your seat an humble heart:smiley: