Colored to Black?

How come when I render after mapping out the mesh, it still remains black in the render. In the 3D window, it still had color, and there is enough lighting. and the camera is at the right angle… what’s happening?

Are you sure there is a lamp in your scene? If you are in regular solid draw mode, everything in the 3D viewport will appear lit, whether there is a lamp or not, until you render. so, make sure you are in shaded draw mode when you are checking your lighting. There are other possible explanations, but it’s hard to say without more information.

I was following the book “The Essential Blender” on Chapter 10. So i was painting the monkey. But after i saved and did as the book said. When i rendered it was totally black. Also, after I saved and exited and came back to it, all the color was gone. I’ll check what you said though.

Well, I wrote that chapter so I guess I better figure out what went wrong. Hopefully I can find the folder where that tut is contained, because I don’t actually have a copy of the book.

Ok, I found the tut. So far I have not noticed anything that sets off alrm bells, here is the tut, in case someone else wants to take a guess at what happened.

1. Unwrapping an organic shape ( Suzanne )
    a) First add suzanne to your scene. Hit the spacebar, and select add >> monkey.
    b) Now we must make seams.
    When we make our seams, try to imagine that suzanne is made out of a skin of rubber,
    or fabric, and the idea is, to make cuts, in a way, that the surface could be laid
    out flat, with minimal stretching.
    The other consideration, is, to place the seams in areas, that lend themselves to the
    painting aspect. If there is going to be a highly visible area, with lots of detail,
    or a smooth gradient, we do not want to put a seam there, because it would be difficult
    to paint.
    To make a seam, select the edge, or edges where you’d like to make it, and hit CTRL E.
    If you have trouble getting at some vertexes when you are defining your seams, go to
    the themes panel, which is located in your top pulldown panel, add a new theme, and
    change your vertex size.
    So, I have chosen to make my seams here. You can make your seams where you like, if you
    prefer a different placement.
    c) Now we’ll load the faces into the UV editor using the regular ‘unwrap’ method.
    With your object selected, hit the ‘F’ key, to go into face mode. Hit A to deselect
    all your faces, and hit A again, to select them all. We do this, because we want to be sure
    we are loading all of the faces in this case.
    Now hit the ‘U’ key, and you will be presented with several loading options. Choose the
    option: unwrap. You should now see the UV coords in the UV window.
    You’ll notice you can use many of the same commands, with your UV coords, as can be used with a mesh.
    One of the more useful commands is ‘ctrl L’, for ‘select linked’. Right click on a UV node,
    then hit ‘ctrl L’. That will select the entire UV ‘island’, that the node belonged to.
    You can move, rotate and scale UV nodes, and UV islands, using the commands ‘G’, ‘R’, and ‘S’.
    d) So, the next step is to arrange the islands
    I’ve decided to arrange the islands like this, but I think I’ll reattach the nose to the rest
    of the face using the live transform tool.
    e) To start with, select the nose island, and position it back to the middle of the face.
    Scale it down so it’s close to fitting. Select the nodes at the edges of the nose island,
    and hit ‘P’ to pin them. In the UV menu, select ’ Live Unwrap Transform '.
    Now select the pinned nodes, one by one, and drag them roughly, to where they will attach to the
    face. Notice that the unpinned nodes optimize themselves in real time, getting rid of the
    stretching and distortion that would normally occur during such an operation.
    You can now unpin the nodes, and turn off Live unwrap transform.
    Now select the pairs of nodes that need to be joined, and hit ‘V’ to weld them together.
    f) Now we’ll prepare to paint the texture
    I’m going to use Blenders Texture painting tools, including the clone tool, so, first of all,
    I will go into a paint program and make the skin and monkeywool textures that I will be cloning
    onto suzzane. Once having done that, Load them into blender.
    Now make a third image, from Image >> New, in the UV window. Make sure it’s a resolution that’s
    large enough. Otherwise you might have problems painting the details. I’m going to do 512 X 512.
    With all faces selected in face select mode, call up the new image with the browse button.
  2. PAINTING THE TEXTURE
    a) the first thing to do is to go into textured draw mode, in your 3D window, so you can see the
    texture on suzanne as you paint it.
    b) Next, in the UV window, click on the texture paint button. It’s the one with the picture of
    the pencil on it. now you are in texture paint mode. You can also go into texture paint mode
    in the 3D window, and paint directly onto your mesh, which we will do in a minute.
    The only new hotkey we’ll need to use now, is ‘C’ which calls up our paint tools.
    c) so, hit ‘C’ to call up the paint tools, so we can clone.
    Now, click on the button that says ‘clone’, and call up the skin texture with the browse
    button, in your paint tools.
    You’ll see the ghosted image, superimposed on your original image.
    Use right click and drag, to position it over the facial area.
    Now, with left click, paint the clone texture onto suzannes face.
    Move the texture around as necessary, until you’ve got the whole face, then switch to the fur texture.
    Blend using the fur texture, along the seams of the face, and wherever else there is fur.
    Continue using the clone brush to fill in the rest of the skin and fur areas.
    d) Now we’ll do some regular painting to finish it off.
    Click the brush tool, and turn down the stepsize, so we get a nice even flow.
    To change colors, left click on the color bar, to call up the pallette.
    To hide the pallette, you can click escape.
    Use the size, opacity, and falloff controls, as you need them to paint the eyes,
    and mouth. Be sure to blend the edges on the mouth.
    Now do a bit of shading around the eyes and ears, and maybe the nose, as well
    as any other detals you wish to add, to finish it off.
    c) Saving
    Now you can exit texture paint mode, and save your painted texture.
    Go to Image >> Save as, and save the image.
  3. Adding the painted texture in materials.
    a) After you’ve saved everything, and hopefully done a subsurface / set smooth
    on suzanne, you can add the image texture, in materials. So open the materials
    window, and add a new material.
    b) Once having added a new material, go to textures, and add a texture of type
    ‘image’, and browse for the painted texture you just created.
    c) Back in materials, set ‘Map Input’ to ‘UV’.
    I would also recommend lowering the spec a bit.
    Well, there you have it. My but you look lovely this evening, suzanne!
    Good luck, and good blending.
    Modron