coloring an object based on its location on an image

I’m new to python, but I have done coding in other languages (c++, pascal). Basically, I want to color a bunch of lights to form an image (like an LED array). It shouldn’t be too hard, but I’m really not sure :slight_smile: I guess I should start with getting image data from an image. I don’t think that will be too easy unless blender has built in image handling functions. Anyways, any help would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Are you trying to write a filter for compositor or are you trying to update colors of 3D objects based on their location?

Update colors of objects based on their location. Basically, I would use blender units as 1 pixel, so a cube at x,y,z (0, 0, 0) would be the top left pixel of the image.

I’m still not sure what you are trying to do but it looks like there are several image processing libraries in Python that would let you read/write image data. I have not tried this myself, but this one looks fairly mature, http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/.

Besides that there are lots of ways to color an object. You can color vertices, assign materials, texture them, etc.