Combine 2 cameras in compositor

Hello,

I’m trying to achieve a result similar to attached picture where one view focuses on the whole subject and another view focuses on a detail and is overlayed. This is for an animation for a product video where I set up multiple cameras.

The challenge is that I’d like to use different perspectives so I can’t simply zoom in in the compositor. Also if possible I’d like to have a different aspect ratio for the zoomed in camera.
So my first idea was to render both cameras to a different layer and combine them in the compositor somehow.
However I can’t figure out how to change the active camera for each view layer independently.

The goal is to have a workflow that allows for quick and easy set-up and iteration, which is why I wanted to use two different cameras.
Ideally I’d like to do everything in one render to avoid edits in post so it would be great if the black line to the object could be glued to the object as well somehow during the animation.

Is something like this even possible in blender or is the only possible way to render the whole animation, render the zoomed in parts and then composite them together afterwards?

Btw, the assets used for the picture are from here:

Unfortunately, you cannot set a different active camera for each View Layer.

You can, however, create multiple identical scenes which have different active cameras. As long as you choose “Linked Copy” when adding each new scene, this will not create too much redundancy. Then the render layers can be composited together in the first “master scene” as you’d expect.

Mapping those additional render layers to the little floating frames might be hard but if you create the frames as actual planes in 3D space and you are interested in using UV maps in the compositor, I can show you a neat trick…

1 Like

Thanks for your reply! This already helped me a lot.
Using linked scenes is a pretty good solution to be honest so I’ll give it a shot.

Using UV maps didn’t even cross my mind but it does sound very interesting. I don’t have much experience with UV maps in general so if you have a trick I’d be happy to see it!

Turns out the process is a bit trickier to do in Eevee than in cycles, but check this out:
http://worldsday.org/download/MapUV.blend
The frame objects need to be on separate render layers (though not separate scenes, thankfully). They provide an XY plane onto which an image can be mapped using the “Map UV” node. The plane objects can be moved around and animated however you like.

This is easier to do in Cycles, as it provides UV and Index passes so you don’t have to split everything up into render layers.

2 Likes

This is awesome :smiley: thanks a lot!
It works even better than I thought.
And I even learned a few new tricks from your blend file that I’ve never seen before.
This has been a huge help, thanks again!

1 Like