Combining multiple particle systems

Hi all,

Forgive me if this is a stupid question or if it’s been asked before. I did do a search here and on google, but couldn’t find anything addressing my exact problem.

So, I’ve created a model of a person and wanted to give them hair. To save a lot of awkward separating, cutting and styling the hair, I did it in 3 separate particle groups, one for the top, one for the mid and one for the sides using vertex grouping. I’ve styled it to look how I want, but when I try to convert any one of the particle systems to a mesh, it only does that one and the other 2 disappear as well as the other modifiers I’m using (an armature and corrective smooth). So, my questions are:

1. How can I combine all 3 particle systems to make a one piece hair object? Can I even do that?

2. Is it necessary to do that? I watched a hair creation tutorial on youtube and that’s what they did… The model will only be used for rendering in still images, though it will be posed for running, jumping etc.

3. I’d like to save the entire hair as a separate object to use on other models. Is this possible and if so, how please?

4. Even though I’m happy with the styling of the hair, it looks a bit ‘dull’. I’ve applied a material to it and made it black, but can I for example make the root and tip different colours or other things to make it look more real?

If it helps, the model was created in Character Creator 3 and then imported to blender as a .fbx model. As mentioned above, it also has a corrective smooth and armature modifier and the modifiers can’t be applied because when I imported it, it came with a load of shape keys and blender says I can’t apply modifiers because of that.

Thanks to anyone who can help. I’ll be ready with the digital cake :wink: