Comic Soma — Blender (100% Hand-Painted Textures)

Hey everyone! Excited to share this personal project inspired by Carles Dalmau’s bold, energetic comic style. Everything was made in Blender—modeling, hand-painted textures, and final render in Eevee—all to chase that gritty-yet-colorful 2D comic feel in 3D.

:small_blue_diamond: Key techniques:

  • Hand-painted textures for organic, saturated hues.
  • Grease Pencil outlines to amplify the illustrated look.
  • Minimalist shaders to keep the focus on bold shapes.

The toughest part? Nailing Dalmau’s 2D dynamism his lines and shadows move even in static art. Balancing 3D depth with flat, stylized energy took endless tweaks! Thoughts? I’d love your feedback.










93 Likes

I love the colours and shapes in this. It’s so expressive!

3 Likes

I love the style :heart: and the colors.

Please consider doing a behind-the-scenes on shading/rendering this. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Oh my god, how did you get the shadows so clean? What version of Blender did you use? It looks super cool!

Thank you so much! I’m really glad you like my work.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I’d love to make a video showing part of the process—it’s mostly hand-painted using the free Ucupaint add-on in Blender. Stay tuned!

4 Likes

In this case, the environment is entirely hand-painted—only the character’s textures are dynamic. I used Blender 4.5 for rendering with Eevee, combining an Emission shader and a color node generated by Ucupaint (a free add-on).

3 Likes

Love this! What is the smoke going out the window?

These are cigarettes in an ashtray, matching the concept perfectly.

3 Likes

Lovely contrast between light and shadows and great detail in the character strokes. Great work!

Ah! Thank you! Obvious now, how did I miss it?! :wink:

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

You’re on the featured row! :+1:

This is brilliant, is there a chance you could do a tutorial ?

2 Likes

Love the style and colours! :clap: :clap:

1 Like

This is so cool. Honestly Insane that this artstyle can be achieved in Blender.

3 Likes

Fantastic! Love the colors, the feel, you really captured the comic book style!
One question: how is the light done, those pink shapes on the walls? They can’t be all coming from the window, I’m guessing there are additional light sources? Or it’s painted like texture, too? It looks really cool on Batman’s face :slight_smile:

2 Likes

so sick inspiring :grin:

1 Like

Cool style, Bro! :beers:

1 Like

Hello my friend.
Congratulations on your work. It’s very beautiful and charismatic.
What are your social media accounts?
Include them in the post so we can follow your future posts.
Again, congratulations on your work.