Comic work with help of Blender

Awesome! You get a really cool style. Five stars from here

Nice works ~~ So ~ Readers don’t need too much time for sequel story :slight_smile:

This is incredible! I’m almost in disbelief at those train station renders.

Could you possibly share how you achieved this incredible toon-realism look? If it’s a trade secret I totally understand, I just thought it I’d ask :wink:

Also, how many people are on your team?

Very nice. You or your art director have good taste.

That’s brilliant. I’m totally in love with your style <3

congcong this is some great stuff. Very excited that Blender is a part of this.

Wow! It’s stunning! The BG quality remindes me of Makoto Shinkai! All these beauty!

It would be AWESOME if you’d share some of your skills with us!

OK I think I have figured out how he is doing this amazing work. Unless he has built the most ridiculous render engine ever, I think he may be using Blender to design the framework much like you would sketch with a pencil, then hand painting over it. I saw a similar technique in a book before. So the lighting effects, textures, and other things may in fact be hand painted just like the character is. This does NOT take away anything from the spectacularness of the art here, but we may be beating our heads against the wall trying to find settings in blender to recreate this look when he may be painting it by hand.

@InSearchGFX may be right, since paint-overs are a common technique nowadays… (mordern comic/manga artist often use 3D buildings if they have a setting which returnes often… since it’s simply time saving to use it ase guideline…)

+1

I respect this technique. If it is being used, than it is done brilliantly. Methods like this are sometimes disrespected, as if the artist should not need these “aids”. But Pixar and Dreamworks have been hand painting portions of their renders since the beginning, and I’m sure they still do it now. To me, it is going the extra mile to combine mediums like this, and I applaud it. Obviously, the individual in charge of the final work has a great sense of design and appeal.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised, if most of what we are seeing is being generated directly by Blender. I think that quite a lot is rendered (the backgrounds), and we are just seeing artful post processing techniques.

Hi all,

Thanks for your comments, and we happy you like our works. :slight_smile:

To answer all your questions:

1, what renderer we are using
We are using both Cycles and Blender Internal. For scene render we use Cycles to get quick lighting and clean diffuse, and edge render are all finished in BI. We experience FreeStyle but it seems unfinished and more a less for developer not artist to use.

2, our workflow
We take photographs from our city to get enough details references and then use Blender to model everything in our comic for copyright protection. Then use OpenGL render to finish screenplay. Meanwhile we will use BI to get edge render for 2D artist for character reference. After these work done, 3D artist will render the scene in Cycles for solid color and 2D artist will put some touch via Photoshop for details fix. Well that’s almost our workflow. :slight_smile:

3, will this cost a lot of time?
For this first issue, we have been working for three months as we need to build everything. But once our models lib have been set and all of presents been designed, the next issue will be produced very soon. Just like TheGuardian mentioned, if once scene happened many times in comic like two person talking. This would be easy for us to make the background quick. The first issue is testing our quality, and the next release is to test our speed. I will share how much we will use for the next release. In order to make sure our drawing style stable, we only plan to use 3D to create the background. Most of the time people will need to enjoy the story and character not the background, and we don’t want to lost the core of comic as a picture novel. But 3D could make our view more unique and high quality as well as effective, so we plan to stick with it.

4, how many people of our team?
we have 1 lead artist, 1 3D artist, 2 2D artist, 1 story and 1 R&D support, very small team. :slight_smile:

We will release more in the future for our comic works. Thanks for all your comments

You guys do amazing work and thanks for answering all of the questions :smiley: I can’t wait to see more from you guys!! Keep the posts coming!!

Wow. Brilliant creative use of Blender. It always amazes me what people can and do use Blender for. I doubt even the developers expected it to be used in this manner.

The renders and shading look really good. I’d love to see more like this.

Nice
I want to do something like this too use blender for background
but my Q are you rendering this color for background in blender

tiger2011, like they said above, they just render basic colors and lines and overpaint it.
But it’s still an amazing work! I’d love to see more!

Genius…!

This Rocks! Great job!

Love it!!! interesting.

That looks really nice. I like how you’ve managed to combine the 2D and the 3D, so that they work nicely together.