Commercial Game????????

I know about the issues with blender licensing and making a commercial game. Though Blendezo’s web page showed a script that made legal blender .blend files/exes. I would like to know if this is a feasible way to make a LEGAL blender game that can be sold. If not is there any other way?:confused::spin:

you can do anything you want with your .blends

though people can then use your blends 1 and 2 they would also need blender

yes, but you can protect your work so no one steals it, I think it’s called BPlayer or something like that. I don’t know if there’s a written copyright thing though

and 2 they would also need blender
Actually no. You don’t need blender in order for other people to play your games.

Simply put the blend file in the same folder with the blenderplayer. Then use a bat file (or a separate application like this) to exclude the blend. The other way is to use the game actuator discribed on Blendezo’s website.

Edit:

BPlayer or something like that. I don’t know if there’s a written copyright thing though
The BPPlayer converts your blend files to encrypted block files. Block files inherit the copyright(s) from the original blend file.

Pardon my ignorance but what is the problem with selling the games? The GPL puts no commercial restriction on anything as far as I know. You could still sell your work even if it’s licensed under the GPL.

But the GPL does put restrictions on how you distribute the licensed files. You must make the source code available. So this that you guys are using to encrypt the blend files for the sole purpose of hiding the source. Isn’t that illegal?

I mean, you own your .blend files. But they’re still licensed under the GPL for you, right? Because as far as I know the GPL also restricts any work derived from GPL to also be licensed as GPL.

So bottom line, you can sell and do whatever you wish with your games as long as you make the source available and license it under the GPL. Selling it is legal, but encrypting the source is illegal. Or am I missing something?

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/GPL/2.0/

Unless you’re concerned that you believe you cannot make money from open-source. But that is a whole different issue. It’s not a legal problem, it’s your own personal administrative problem.

But the GPL does put restrictions on how you distribute the licensed files. You must make the source code available. So this that you guys are using to encrypt the blend files for the sole purpose of hiding the source. Isn’t that illegal?
This has been discussed several times before (search the forums if you don’t believe me).

It is 100% legal to encrypt blend files because blend files are your sol property and are separate from the GPL. Therefor, (since blend files are your sol work) you may do anything you want with them - that includes encryption, compression, or converting a blend file to a complete different format.

It only becomes illegal if you start messing the the blenderplayer (or blender) binary code itself.

I mean, you own your .blend files. But they’re still licensed under the GPL for you, right?
No. Here is a quote from Blender.org:

So I own the copyright to all output?

In almost every circumstance for blender, only the code and other GPL’d files themselves are covered. Any output of such material is copyright the person who produced the output, in this case, the artist.

You don’t have to license you’re .blend files under GPL.

Sinsoft is a commercial company using BGE for game creation (sinsoft.com).

All .blend files created by Sinsoft will have their own license/copyright separate from the GPL.

.blend files are considered output so you can license them any way you want. And you own the full copyright to them. As well as full rights into how they are distributed and used. For example Sinsoft restricts the use/modification/distribution without permission from Sinsoft.

Another example, Sinsoft old engine never encrypted anything. We just had disclaimers claiming full copyright to content inside a “DATA” folder.

You can however protect you .blend files if you want to.

Only if you embed the .blend files with the Blender Game Player executable, does your .blend files fall under GPL. Because the Game Player is GPL licensed.

Another note further, there is nothing stopping anyone from selling GPL licensed software. As long as you let people know that the software is available for free on some site, and you give them access to the source code so that they can independently reproduce the GPL’d content. Then you are not breaking the GPL license.

Wow, thanks very helpful:yes:

now to make a commercially acceptable game;)

:eyebrowlift2:Or save game as runtime, duh:eyebrowlift: ???