Commercial low-poly character model : single mesh or multiple?

Hi there ! I am currently modeling a low-poly Apollo era astronaut with an A7l suit, with the intent of texturing it, rigging it, and trying to sell it for the first time.

However, I’m having doubts about the way to proceed in terms of structure : I tried my best to model the parts that require more details i.e. the boots and gloves from the “same block” as the rest of the body, but some small parts, like the connectors on the front, are way too small to be extruded from the body. I began making them as separate meshes.

I’m not sure it’s the way to go. For a “low poly” model destined to be sold, should I always carve from one block, or is it alright to have separate meshes ? If yes, should I join the meshes as one object or leave them separate ?

I’m joining some screenshots of the topology, feel free to give your opinion :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks in advance !

Connector

I guess that 3d printing might have the problem with separate parts if they have open edges. As long as each of them forms a closed volume, it will be fine. For animation and rendering, multiple meshes will make no difference whatsoever. The only minor problem will be weighting, but you can weight the main body first and then use weight transfer to all the details, so they will deform properly along with the body.

Trying to carve everything from the same block will result in a higher poly count to try to connect all the pieces together - and getting everything to look good and smooth will probably be a nightmare. And if you’re trying to stick to quads, you’ll be REALLY miserable. In real life they’re separate objects anyway. Keep in mind hair isn’t separate from our bodies, and we pretty much always make that as a separate mesh.

As Deckard pointed out, the only reason it would need to be one mesh is if it’s for 3D printing - but polycount shouldn’t matter much then. And you were always going to have to adjust the autoweights anyway.

Hi ! Noted, thank you very much for the help !