Commercial support of Blender

I don’t want Blender to cost money by purpose.

Blender ‘wouldn’t cost money’ - you would be contributing to speed Blenders development, ie a skilled developer currently might only have a few hours a week to spend on Blender. Whereas funding them might allow 40 or more hours a week. Thus the developer would have 20 times the available time to work on Blender and thus make 20 times the features.

And I don’t want a Blender commersial version side by side eighter as Blender open-source would vanish and disappear and we have a commercial program and it will only go down!!

Blender is under the GPL license - it would basically be impossible to make a ‘closed/proprietary’ version of Blender (and it would certainly be impossible to do so without the approval of the Blender Foundation). Commercial just means somebody gets paid - just like RedHat and the RedHat Linux distribution or the Mozilla foundation and Firefox. Just as our donations go to the Blender Foundation to currently go to paying for Tons salary so that he can work on Blender. This would be the same thing, but adding more developers to work on Blender.

LetterRip

I don’t see why people are so much against this.

It is not that people are against it, is that it seems little realistic (to me), based only on donations support.
However, I voted for Item by Item basis.

I havent read this forum in full but I can say if someone hasnt said it already that the likely hood of getting a programmer to do this kind of work is <0> most if not all with charge 75-100k for this project alone hints the reason of slow development and cheaper quality tools for blender and bigger powerful tools for other programs witch cost 300-7000$ because of the cost of a programmer. Its not that the work is hard. but only a few % of people; lets say 10% acctualy become hardcore C++, and assembly programmers and the time and dedication to a project like this would take 10 hours a day if not more to keep a steady work flow and someone who is at this level would already have a job unless the guy freelances and even then he would be fulltime like it is metioned in the forum.

on another note–is their hope for others-----

I have a brother who does this kind of work. He has been programming for 7 years now who just recently found work with a cellphone company
he is not paid much but that is also due to the fact he does not have a college degree but the company is giving him a free ride thru college and a big cut of a program that he is writing for them. I can alway ask him to write powerful mesh tool script that is similar to other expensive programs but it could take a year becasue he works 8-9 hours a day on coding alone and the time that is free is verylittle.

So am I saying theirs hope to get a programmer that you guys are wishing for. no but, the chance of finding a good programmer that will come at a very cheap price is likely; but to find one would be looking for a ??“pencil in a haystack”??

I know what you mean LetterRip, for me it’s difficult. Bleder do things very efficiently now, commercial program usually gets overkill and begin to lag even on fast computers…! Well, I don’t know what would be best for Blender but hopefully Blender can stay fast and functional and not having tons of unnesessary functions just because the programmers have to do something as they get payed. Like commersial programs, they just have to cange menus, add a submenu even if totally unnecessary, change the goal with it, change it so much that it begins competing with another big software company and eventually Blender is bought and gone. Great thing as you said it’s under GPL licence. Hopefully Blender can get enough money for development, not too much money involved. I have to say that Suse Linux have only contributed to Linux in general sonoting bad at all with that. So you might be right about having a side by side commercial Blender wouldn’t be bad. I don’t know…

Bleder do things very efficiently now, commercial program usually gets overkill and begin to lag even on fast computers…!

The slow down is from a number of reasons - a big one is that for most commercial development - adding a major new feature is frequently done by buying someone elses work and then integrating it, which usually means adding a pretty huge new library, etc. which will add size and cause slow down. Also a lot of commercial programs likely have much lower standards for code quality (bean counters everywhere go why hire one good programmer for this, when I can hire 3 cheap programmers - of course a good programmer is ten or even a hundered times more valuable than a cheap programmer), they are checklist and ‘production’ oriented.

not having tons of unnesessary functions just because the programmers have to do something as they get payed.

There are a lot of useful functions that Blender doesn’t have yet, so not that big a concern. Also anyone who would be hired to do this work would be someone who already is a big contributor to Blender and works on Blender out of enjoyment already. So they aren’t going to do unneccessary work, and wouldn’t do anything to make Blender ‘less than great’.

change it so much that it begins competing with another big software company and eventually Blender is bought and gone

The GPL makes it impossible for Blender to be ‘bought and gone’. Even if Blender becomes the best animation tool in the world, no one can ever buy it and make it ‘not free’.

LetterRip

Also anyone who would be hired to do this work would be someone who already is a big contributor to Blender and works on Blender out of enjoyment already.

Ka-ching!

%<

I can alway ask him to write powerful mesh tool script that is similar to other expensive programs but it could take a year becasue he works 8-9 hours a day on coding alone and the time that is free is verylittle.

Here is a suggestion to you, and to all individuals who have friends/relatives that are programmers - You might consider asking them to do write a new feature for Blender as a Christmas or Birthday present - (not major things like GPU rendering, but mesh tools or scripts are small enough tasks that they could accomplish in a reasonable time and effort). Chances are coding is something that they would enjoy doing anyway, and this would give them an excuse to spend some free time doing a bit of coding. Also coding graphics related work is usually MUCH funner than whatever coding they are doing as a day job.

LetterRip

I would love to make new x,y,z widgets and buttons but I dont know how to change the source code and I rather not ask my brother(pride),(lives to far away). I can open all the source files in visual C++ but the part of changing everything
?c?o?-bu?ses? me.

Have you read the docs on the interface?

What do you mean ‘new interface buttons’ do you already have code written that you want to trigger via button?

LetterRip

I myself never even touched code in my life but I do pretty good graphics if i want to and I felt like throwing some of my art into teh source. I figured i could throw my pics into visual C++ and drop them into the .h files. i was just thinking about it today. I would prob. know if i asked my bro how before he moved but i dont want to call him for this stuff.

It would be far easier for you just to email a link to where to find the .png files to bf-committers unless you mean icons that you’d only use for yourself.

LetterRip

well i mean is the interface itself the buttons such as the layers set, the x,y,z, widget the buttons themselfs< for a nicer crispt look witch is all meaning less I know, but its what I do.

alittle off topic
Right now the project with my brother is a “Blendz” texture library that contains 500 right now but will contain 2000+ textures witch can be compressed and decomressed due the large file size the gui and the images will take up(10gigs+) this is one of three projects the other two are scritps for blender but the idea of the scripts are on a thin line that will break.

The pack so far is up in the air for what im planing to do with it maybe make it apart of blender :smiley:

If you are interested in getting them included in Blender you should email the bf-committers mailing list in the very near future (ie the next couple of days), since we will do a release in about 3 weeks and the GUI might be finalized for Blender 2.40 (in which case there might be a reluctance to change prominent interface elements since we will also be updating the docs shortly).

LetterRip

I will look into it :Z