Please put the word “City” at the topic title.
I guess we all have quite different goals, but it is fine so. What we have discussed within the Blendopolis project, the main concern is about getting a functional model repository. There are lots of massive but dead model repositories around, but giving them a life, is a task byself.
Something what I had in mind:
– to collect models, upload/download them automatically, syncronize the models at harddisk with the models at servers
– kind a world largest distributed model repository
– to add models to bigger maps
– the easy to start from scratch, kind a SimCity like street/area planning
– centralized packet list
– everyone free to make own cities, using common models
– everyone free to walk around in the cities made by others, see the models, use them as a whole or as a part, make games, animations, artworks, use the buildings as background images, etc.
– automatically lisence all models/maps with GPL-lisence for a free usage
– everyone can go ones own way, no need to common planning or democratic decision mechanisms
– possibility to drop old models to save disk-space, possibility to group models by some criteria
I have been working with a Python script to syncronize the model repositories, and I feel the library linking possibility in Blender is quite ideal for constructing bigger cities. Good instructions how to group and link models is still needed, so that models are easy to add and file sizes don’t grow too much.
I have not heard about the Blendopolis project lately, so I don’t know if the server there is still ready for keeping track of models lists, but I hope to hear something more or some way we get around this…