Community project: Blender demoreel!!!

Again, the FTP method might be faster, but it would be a lot more of a mess. It would make it more difficult for people to upload/download/comment/vote in the long run, and another transfer isn’t that bad (I have a 10Megabit connection for my site).

I’ll be looking for your e-mail so that we can get this set up properly.

I have some great animation (well, I think it is great) that pushes the limits of Blender’s rendering capabilities that we could add to the reel. Of course, it would be up for vote just the same as anybody else.

Possible Submission Requirements:

Resulution:
Submissions must be either 640x480 or 800x600. No post-processing other then what can be doen within Blender itself.

Content:
Images should be themed in a ‘clean’ nature. No excessive violence, nudity or swearing will be allowed.

Animations:

Resolution:
The resolution should be 320x240 for submissions, and encoded in Divx 4 or 5. This will ensure smaller filesizes for people with lower bandwidth.

Content:
Annimations should contain no excessive violence, nudity, or swearing.

Games:

Content:
No nudity or swearing, some violence will be tolerated but please refrain from large amounts of bloodshed!

General Stuff

Submission will be made tp Stephen2002’s forum in the appropriate catagory. Submissions will begin on January 1st 2003 at 12:00AM GMT and end on January 31st 2003 at 11:59PM GMT. Voting will commense on Febuary 5th at 12:00AM GMT and end on Febuary 17th 2003 at 11:59PM GMT.

All winners will e-mail their packed blend files to [email protected]. The subject line should read as follows:
your name : catagory of entry : filename.blend
We will render all stills and animations in house to keep transfers of large file sizaes down and to also ensure that we can get the highest quality final project.

We may make special request to do short camera animations of stills to make them fit into the final project. Permission must be given by the artist for us to actually do this.

that is what i have so far. please comment so we can get this hammered out.

sounds great to me…i am working on a very complex model right now.it isn’t finished yet.i was thinking of making a even more complex model after this one.i think i have to start it earlier than i thought.

…and yes…this idea has electrified me as the call for crusade electrified the europian knights. :wink:

We’ll see…but I think I’ll be able to send you some pic of our movie. Like scene of a ground battle (no blood, maybe a pic where soldier get out of a transport :confused: ) anyway…as I said I have to talk to the other member first…anyway good luck on your demoreel project!

i would like to provide a clearer definition to this.

what i entend to prevent is something that would cause people to stop watching, or something that might gross someone out. war scenes will be except if they are tolerable. this desicion will most likely be left up to the community during or after voting.

that may shed a little more light on what i think should be excluded.

final official rules should be posted soon.

for official rules and postings, go here:

http://rendermonitor.no-ip.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=18

Thanks for sticking the topic! (endi, could you please edit your first post to reflect the link to the forums)

I can make a photorealistic head of a woman as an entry, and some lip sync targets too if time permits, but as far as my texturing and rendering skills in blender (such as using alphas, reflectios etc.) , id say mine are still far from advance.

I hate to break the mood but wont it be beneficial if more experienced people can later modify subbmitted models to make it better? If i understood it right, i think that the purpose of this contest is to make a demo reel to showcase blender’s full capabilities and not so much that of the individual users.

Anyway, im submmitting one anyway IF i get it done before the deadline, feel free to modify if you like.

we may make some modifications to lighting or whatever, but only if the artist allows us to… really if we do anything other then move the camera it is no longer your work… technically at least. so we can jump that hburtle when we get there.

Actually proper camera setting is 20% of a good image, so even moving camera makes a big variation…

Stefano

we will only make modifications to the image if we feel the need is there (and it probably won’t be), and only if the artist that submitted the work will let us.