Compiling Blender 2.8 ubuntu 18.04 problem

(Fran3Dartist) #1

Greetings!

I believe this is my very first post, although I’ve been following the website for sometime. I’ve been using blender as my default software for about a year, and with it I’ve learnt to appreciate and embrace opensource software. So much that I ended up forgetting about using windows a week ago and go full on with linux. Working in the VFX industry I got used to using Fedora and others, but I never had to install or compile packages. I started compiling following the steps of this website https://wiki.blender.org/wiki/Building_Blender/Linux/Ubuntu, but some features ( such us subdivision surface modifier and others ) don’t work. I’ve googled the problem but I haven’t found any way to solve the issue.

Do you guys have any idea of what might be happening?

Thanks in advanced guys and have a great day!

(Fran3Dartist) #2

I believe the issues come from the compiling process itself. I’m very new to these things so sorry If I’m doing somehting wrong. This is what I get after using the command “make”:

Configuring Blender in “/home/fran/blender-git/build_linux” …
CUDA_TOOLKIT_ROOT_DIR not found or specified
– Could NOT find CUDA (missing: CUDA_TOOLKIT_ROOT_DIR CUDA_NVCC_EXECUTABLE CUDA_INCLUDE_DIRS CUDA_CUDART_LIBRARY)
CUDA toolkit not found, using dynamic runtime loading of libraries instead
– Could NOT find HDF5 (missing: HDF5_LIBRARY HDF5_INCLUDE_DIR)
– Boost version: 1.65.1
– Found the following Boost libraries:
– filesystem
– regex
– thread
– date_time
– wave
– locale
– iostreams
– system
– chrono
– atomic
– serialization
runningllvm-config-
– Found OpenMP_C: -fopenmp
– Found OpenMP_CXX: -fopenmp
– Found OpenMP_C: -fopenmp
– Found OpenMP_CXX: -fopenmp
– Could NOT find GLUT (missing: GLUT_glut_LIBRARY GLUT_INCLUDE_DIR)
– GLUT_FOUND=FALSE
CUDA_TOOLKIT_ROOT_DIR not found or specified
– Could NOT find CUDA (missing: CUDA_TOOLKIT_ROOT_DIR CUDA_NVCC_EXECUTABLE CUDA_INCLUDE_DIRS CUDA_CUDART_LIBRARY)
– CUDA compiler not found, disabling WITH_CYCLES_CUDA_BINARIES
– Found opencollada: /opt/lib/opencollada/include/opencollada/COLLADAFramework/COLLADAFWAnimationClip.h
– Blender Skipping: (bf_alembic;bf_editor_space_logic;bf_editor_space_time;bf_intern_ctr;bf_intern_gawain;bf_intern_moto;bf_intern_opencl;bf_intern_utfconv;extern_openjpeg)
– Disabling Cycles tests because tests folder does not exist
– Disabling OpenGL tests because tests folder does not exist
CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but they are set to NOTFOUND.
Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake files:
GLUT_INCLUDE_DIR (ADVANCED)
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/blender
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/blender
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/app
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/app
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/bvh
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/bvh
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/device
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/device
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/doc
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/doc
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/doc/license
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/doc/license
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/graph
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/graph
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/kernel
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/kernel
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/kernel/osl
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/kernel/osl
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/kernel/shaders
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/kernel/shaders
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/render
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/render
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/subd
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/subd
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/util
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/util
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/test
used as include directory in directory /home/fran/blender-git/blender/intern/cycles/test

– Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also “/home/fran/blender-git/build_linux/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log”.
See also “/home/fran/blender-git/build_linux/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log”.
GNUmakefile:144: recipe for target ‘all’ failed
make: *** [all] Error 1

(James) #3

have you modified blender? If not you can just use the linux builds available here. I bet if you search Ubuntus software center, theres installer for it. You may have to expand the repositories from the defaults before it shows up, i think it only shows Ubuntu approved stuff in there until you enable third parties.

Does sound like your missing stuff for CUDA though.

(Markus Mayer) #4

Hi there, I like that you are jumping head first into FOSS. That’s the spirit! xD.

Anyways, to your problem:

At the top of your output it says that CUDA is not found. You can get rid of this by installing the CUDA toolkit available from the NVIDIA site.

When you are following the build guide I believe you tried to do this via make or make - full from the source directory. I also never had luck with that.
Please try the following:
(Disclaimer: I am at my phone right now so I can’t double check. So please adept to what you see on your screen and/or ask further questions. I also assume you followed the guide’s naming scheme and work in blender-git.)

1. Navigate to your blender-git folder type
ls

you should see a folder called blender.

1. create a folder for you build
mkdir mybuild

3.cd into that folder

cd mybuild
  1. Now we will start a manual configuration
ccmake ../blender
  1. please follow the directions at the bottom of the screen/ terminal in the form of configure -> generate -> exit (while you’re at it you can activate/ deactivate functionality of blender but bare in mind that activating some options might require additional dependencies to be installed.)

2. build blender with as much cores as you can

make -jN

(replace N with an integer according to your thread count. Ex. Ryzen 1800x 8 cores/16 threads = make -j16)

1. copy static files
make install

You should find your built Blender in

<where-you-are>/build/bin

Please don’t hesitate to ask further questions.

(Fran3Dartist) #5

Thanks man!

with your help I believe I’ve been able to fix some of the issues but not everything. I found out I was missing some repositories and packages in order to compile blender. But now I’m having this “new issue” after using the commands “make -j8” and “make install”. Is it a known issue?

[ 98%] Built target buildinfo
Scanning dependencies of target blender
[ 98%] Building C object source/creator/CMakeFiles/blender.dir/buildinfo.c.o
[ 98%] Linking CXX executable …/…/bin/blender
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_locale.a(icu_backend.o):function boost::locale::impl_icu::create_localization_backend(): error: undefined reference to ‘icu_60::Locale::Locale()’
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_locale.a(icu_backend.o):function boost::locale::impl_icu::icu_localization_backend::clone() const: error: undefined reference to ‘icu_60::Locale::Locale()’
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_locale.a(icu_backend.o):function boost::locale::impl_icu::icu_localization_backend::install(std::locale const&, unsigned int, unsigned int): error: undefined reference to ‘icu_60::Locale::createCanonical(char const*)’

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libboost_locale.a(time_zone.o):function boost::locale::impl_icu::get_time_zone(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits, std::allocator > const&): error: undefined reference to ‘icu_60::TimeZone::createDefault()’
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.a(xzlib.o):function xz_head: error: undefined reference to ‘lzma_auto_decoder’
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.a(xzlib.o):function xz_head: error: undefined reference to ‘lzma_properties_decode’
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.a(xzlib.o):function xz_decomp: error: undefined reference to ‘lzma_code’
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.a(xzlib.o):function __libxml2_xzclose: error: undefined reference to ‘lzma_end’
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.a(encoding.o):function xmlCharEncFirstLineInt: error: undefined reference to ‘ucnv_convertEx_60’
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.a(encoding.o):function xmlCharEncFirstLine: error: undefined reference to ‘ucnv_convertEx_60’
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.a(encoding.o):function xmlCharEncFirstLineInput: error: undefined reference to ‘ucnv_convertEx_60’
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.a(encoding.o):function xmlCharEncInput: error: undefined reference to ‘ucnv_convertEx_60’
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
source/creator/CMakeFiles/blender.dir/build.make:423: recipe for target ‘bin/blender’ failed
make[2]: *** [bin/blender] Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:9630: recipe for target ‘source/creator/CMakeFiles/blender.dir/all’ failed
make[1]: *** [source/creator/CMakeFiles/blender.dir/all] Error 2
Makefile:162: recipe for target ‘all’ failed
make: *** [all] Error 2

(Markus Mayer) #6

hm, never had such trouble. But from what I get it seems to be a problem with BOOST.
How did you install the dependencies? Via the script?
Please try that again. Empty the ‘mybuild’ folder and start over.
It might be possible that your machine is a bit picky and gets the hickups when compiling on all cores. There’s a chance you will succeed when using just one thread.

(English is not my native language) #7

Hi. Is it 18.04 fresh installation? Or did you update from previous Ubuntu version?
Have you installed the Blender dependencies with install_deps.sh script?

(Fran3Dartist) #8

Sorry for the very late response and thanks for the support. I haven’t had much time to deal with it but I actually got it working. So far seems like que all modifiers and told are working. To be honest I do not know what I did to make a difference.
Now I’m having one last issue with Cuda. I don’t have the option to enable GPU in the preference menu. I Googled about it and seems like it might be an issue with the Cuda toolkit. I’ll give it a shot today and I’ll let you guys know.

In addition I have another question. I have a GTX 1070 and I tried many times to install the 418 Nvidia drivers. So far seems like the 390 version is the only stable one, is it correct?

(Markus Mayer) #9

I can’t explicitly tell for the 1070 but 418.43 is running fine on my 2070s. NVIDIA driver search suggest it for the 1070 also. So I don’t see a reason why it shouldn’t work.

In regards to CUDA. The most common problem with CUDA compilation is, that the CUDA Toolkit (SDK) isn’t installed. But since you are having issues with your driver there might be something going on.

(English is not my native language) #10

Add the Proprietary GPU Drivers PPA:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
sudo apt-get update

Install last driver (you verify in terminal messages that everything ends without errors):

sudo apt install nvidia-driver-418

If the above ends correctly without showing errors, now you install Cuda Toolkit 9 from the Ubuntu repositories (lot of files):

sudo apt install nvidia-cuda-toolkit

(Fran3Dartist) #11

Thanks guys! Sorry for responding late, I’m a bit busy lately. I’ll check it out.
Are you guys using Ubuntu? If so which version? I was using 18.04 but due to the issues I had to change it for 16.04. now seems like I’m not having many issues but I’m running on 384 drivers

(Markus Mayer) #12

Until about 3 weeks ago I ran Ubuntu 18.04 solely and had zero problems. Now I’m mostly on Arch. I have a Ubuntu in dual boot for Da Vinci Resolve Studio.

(English is not my native language) #13

I use Kubuntu 18.04, which regarding drivers, repositories/PPAs, Kernel, etc. is exactly the same as Ubuntu 18.04. I have no problems with my GTX 960 and Blender.

(Fran3Dartist) #14

I got it guys! I finally got Ubuntu working properly with the latest drivers and blender compiled. To be honest I’m not sure what I did, but definitely I spent time reading the terminal trying to figure out the things that were missing. I believe I missing a large amount of drivers and packages. Anyway, thanks for everything!