Compiling Gimp Plugins

I am on windows XP sp2 and havn’t been able to compile gimp plugins or figure out how all i get is error messages can someone please post a step-by-step guide for me? i havnt been able to compile a plugin for two years and still havn’t been able to figure out how. and i did search.

If anyone is here looking for GimpTool for Gimp 2.x on Win32, go here:

http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A+gimptool-2.0+installed+on+Windows+XP–t1507150.html#a4096722

The rest of this thread is left for entertainment value only. Please, do not try this at home…

You need gimptool to compile Gimp plug-ins. All of the error messages you are receiving are probably due to all the missing header files that are contained in the Gimp development package. I'm not sure if it's even available for Windows. Try searching for "gimptool windows" and see what you find.

According to the search there is no gimptool for windows. But, I am waiting fo a linux cd in the mail so when i get it i will compile them on a cross platform compiler. Thanks because I didn’t find anything about having gimptool to compile plugins.

I found this in my quest to answer the question about gimptool for win32. It seems like someone has to have a solution. I hope it helps.

http://source.macgimp.org/gimptool-win32.c.in

I Might Be Stupid But How Do I Use It?

No, no, no, and no. Stupid… no.

I’m going to try my best at helping here. It’s been a long time since I’ve worked at this level. If I’m not helpful enough, I trust that someone will jump in.

That link is C code, so copy all of the text and paste into a text editor. Save it as “gimptool.c” (if that doesn’t work, save it as gimptool-win32.c"). Try to compile it. Hopefully all will go well, but a couple of the header files I’m not sure about. I’m not familiar with ‘sys/stat.h’. A quick Google search produced useful results; so if you have problems, they should be easily resolved. ‘glib.h’ is part of the Gnome project. Since you have Gimp installed, hopefully all the dependencies are covered. If you get a good build, you can run ‘gimptool --help’ or ‘gimptool-win32 --help’ or ‘gimptool-2.0’ (what I have on Linux) from the command line for usage. On my box, it’s: ‘gimptool-2.0 --install SOME-PLUG-IN.c’

How do i try to compile it? The same way i’ve been trying to compile plugins with MinGW?

To Compile the plugin on mingw i type ‘cd C:/Compile/homogenizer-0.4’ cause thats where the plugin files are and then i push enter and then it goes to the directory and says

[email protected] /c/Compile/homogenizer-0.4’

so i type ‘make install’ and here is the log

[email protected] ~
$ cd C:/Compile/homogenizer-0.4

[email protected] /c/Compile/homogenizer-0.4
$ make install
gcc gimptool --cflags -O2 -Wall -o homogenize homogenize.c gimptool --libs -lm
/bin/sh.exe: gimptool: command not found
/bin/sh.exe: gimptool: command not found
/bin/sh.exe: gcc: command not found
make: *** [homogenize] Error 127

[email protected] /c/Compile/homogenizer-0.4
$

so i think that is because i dont have gimptool installed but do i try to compile gimptool the same way?

because it is not working here is the output

[email protected] /c/Compile
$ cd C:/Compile

$ make install
make: *** No rule to make target `install’. Stop.

$ cd C:/Compile

$ gimptool.c
./gimptool.c: /bin: is a directory
./gimptool.c: line 2: syntax error near unexpected token (C' ./gimptool.c: line 2: * Copyright © 2001 Tor Lillqvist’

$

so i dont think this is how to compile it. Then what do i use? I have dev C+ and codeblocks and cygwin and MinGW installed.

Grrrr… I’m not working with Windows, so I couldn’t try the avenues that you’ve explored. I tried to build an .exe on my machine, but Mandriva is a tragedy for development. I’m posting this so that hopefully someone here (and I know they’re here) will jump in and make this work.

Anyone?

Yeah Please?:smiley:

And when i try to compile other things it says

configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

like when i try to compile pkg-config

$ ./configure
checking for a BSD-compatible install… /bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane… yes
checking for gawk… gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)… yes
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles… no
checking build system type… i686-pc-mingw32
checking host system type… i686-pc-mingw32
checking for style of include used by make… GNU
checking for gcc… no
checking for cc… no
checking for cc… no
checking for cl… no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log’ for more details.

and it says that on almost all programs but i cant fifure out how to install any i’ve found out what gcc is and downloaded and i thought i followed the directions but i guess not and cant figure out how to install it

[I’M still calling for help here. Does anybody have a few minutes?]

ming32 is what I was trying to build an executable with. To make a long story short, compiling anything under Mandriva is an arduous task of defining paths.

Anyway… gcc wasn’t seen on your box. Two questions: is gcc installed on your machine? If you’re compiling through mingw32, do you have all of the mingw32 libraries installed?

The problem is i cant get gcc to install i would get everything else to work but it all needs gcc. And I think they are installed how do i check?

And thanks for all your help.

As you probably already know, I linked this thread to Off Topic. There are so many talented and knowledgable people that frequent this forum; I know that someone here can help. Having the abilty to build Gimp plug-ins on Windows can be huge for many people. I’ll keep trying until we have a solution.

cool thanks

Edit: I got gcc to install now when i try it says this.

$ ./configure
checking for a BSD-compatible install… /bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane… yes
checking for gawk… gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)… yes
checking build system type… i686-pc-mingw32
checking host system type… i686-pc-mingw32
checking for native Win32… yes
checking for gcc… gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name… configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log’ for more details.

Anyone got any ideas?

I have an idea:

http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A+gimptool-2.0+installed+on+Windows+XP–t1507150.html#a4096722

Edit --> This link is Gimptool for Win32 by Tor Lillqvist, the one that ported GTK to Windows.