[Completed] - Chameleon 2.57 (Make a Splash in Amsterdam)

Screenshot from Sketchfab

Last cycles render:

Splash_257
Hey guys,
OK, still thinking about that one (for 2 days now), but I think this little guy wants to get an update.
I plan to keep the subject (probably need to be modeled again), the angle and the material transitions. Nevertheless, I’ll choose different materials, colors and transitions to make that guy a little more oniric and trippy. I plan to make it a fantastic beast, like he has bits and pieces of other animals as well. A chameleon from the world in between :smiley:

By the way, I checked what I was doing when Blender was 2.57, and found back a couple of pictures. Not quite the same as today in many regards, but fun to go through that again!

Last, questions regarding the support of Blender functionalities in Sketchfab real-time:

• I assume we should stay away from hair
  • I assume that animated materials are a bad idea
9 Likes

Reference board

2 Likes

OK, let’s get crazy

5 Likes

I think I just found myself an excuse to subscribe to midjourney and have it generate crazy textures…

1 Like

I don’t think either of them look good…

For hair, I bet you can use an alpha card approach, or convert the new hair system to mesh geometry

As for animated materials, try the Timeframe (Stop motion) feature https://help.sketchfab.com/hc/en-us/articles/203058018-Animations?utm_source=forum&utm_campaign=forum_content#timeframe

2 Likes

Starts looking better (still not there) thanks to the free reptile brushes of Adam Dotlačil

2 Likes

Job almost done! Looking a-ma-zing already

2 Likes

Mirror, bit of subsurf, and I feel like adding the Triceratops to the list of influences…

1 Like

Keeping the tail as a curve with matching geometry for max flexibility (it wants to roll on and off…). It’s likely to end up as a centipede and my procedural shaders will need the curve info.

1 Like

First UV map

1 Like

Wasting time, but that’s fun!

2 Likes

Displacement yeah yeah yeah - still does not look like a chameleon too much, but it will come… maybe…

2 Likes

Things are getting a bit out of hand, time to call it a day

4 Likes

Super cool!

1 Like

That last one looks like it died on the sea floor and become part of the microbe landscape :open_mouth:

1 Like

I’m hesitating now:

• Option 1: I stick with my original design and make this little guy a crazy oniric patchwork (wings, horns, bones, jewels and whatnot), and I deviate from modeling the chameleon as it is
  • Option 2: I model the thing properly and realistically and I go crazy with the materials and the transitions only (and I can reuse a lot of nice procedural materials I’ve made before, and new ones of course)

What do you guys think?

2 Likes

Go with option 1, I’d say :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I´m with @joseph, option 1 definitely.
Option 2 would have made sense in case you could submit an animation, with all the skin material shift.
Resuming, option 1 will show in a more explicit way the evolution of Blender and I´m assuming that it can be part of the challange as well as the splash screen have come along with every new Blender version over the years showing its new capabilities.
Extra: Have you already watched this video?
all Blender ´s splash screens from the beginnings
There is also a reworked one, 2.50 made it for the 2.33 version (you will see which animal it is)

2 Likes

Thanks guys for your input!
Working on clean UV’s now - boring, but worth the investment at this stage

Acceptable stretching
Screenshot 2022-08-20 190535

2 Likes