EDIT: the WIP is complete. Click here to jump to the conclusion!
Decided to take part in the new challenge. I will share my progress here, in the open spirit of the challenge. So, let me begin by sharing some guiding principles I have set for my project, and my general idea.
I will remix Blender 2.81’s splash, as I find it so lovely and full of details. It was created by Alex Treviño, based on a concept by Anaïs Maamar. Both are great artist whose work I recommend checking out!
My idea is to make it happen in a different era, a far away past where an ancestor of the girl is still running the same shop. It probably runs in the family
For the setting, I was thinking about a Ancient Greco-Roman/Mediterrean scenario, but this will become more defined as I work on it. I am very passionate about history and recreating materials from the past, so I’d like to cater this part of me in this process.
A few points I’ve thought about, in no particular order:
- I will remake most assets of the scene to make them fit the different era. However, I won’t alter the “essence” of the scene, as really, the meaning of it must be: different era, same humanity.
- Every single new asset included will be, of course, created by me.
- I will create new textures and assets for the scene. Everything that is new will be shared in the end under CC0 licensing. I won’t win this challenge, but at least I might contribute something to the community!
- I’d like to use Blender’s new hair tools, as I haven’t had a chance to play with them yet.
- As the project will be shared on Sketchfab, I need to make sure it will look good from all angles and that it will be optimized for it. But I will also make a nice render for sharing here, and that will resemble the original splash in camera positiong/photography.
- And, of course, my progress will be shared here.
Ah, and the title of this entry will be… Her Ancestor
I’m excited for this. And I’m excited to see what others will create for this challenge. May the works begin!