Complex and smooth shape made of hexagonal and solidified wireframe - how?

I didn’t think to ask if you were using cycles, my bad :sweat_smile: glad you found that!

1 Like

Although this topic has already been solved, I want to suggest this relatively simple solution based on geometry nodes, which allows you to define the general shape of the grid with a float curve:

Note that this does not simply create a displacement in z-direction, as this would noticeably distort the hexagons.
(Blender Version 3.1.0)

hex_cup_curve_v01.blend (109.5 KB)

3 Likes

Dear @LordoftheFleas can you please provide this kind of solution but for different shape. Im trying to create a grill for a speaker which should be for shape like the model i did in solidworks which is shown on attached photo. I would like to have hexagons which are the same size and have even distribution on object or shape, like you did with geo nodes.

Make the UV a shape keys, place the honeycomb-shaped object there, and connect it with the SurfaceDeform modifier to transform the shape keys into the desired shape. :slightly_smiling_face:

※ The modifier has been removed due to capacity issues in the attachment.

dssds.blend (231.6 KB)

Use TexTools Addon to make the unfolded UV shape keys.

3 Likes

Works beautifully, thanks for showing this approach!

I had to play around with the UV-maps for a bit (that need to be created before using TexTools for creating the UVMesh), and realized that using the standard “Unwrap” option worked best. The created UVmap and therefore UV-Mesh looked a bit funny, but it got the job done:

3 Likes