Complex UV mapping

I have a model that some of the geometry is quite complex on.

I am mainly having trouble on the unwrap. Any suggestions besides take my time and do it right, i.e. speeding up the process?

I know the best results will come from taking my time, and since this isn’t on a deadline it doesn’t really matter how long I spend on mapping, I was just wondering.

Thanks.

The LSCM (sp?) unwrap tool in Tuhoppu works wonders… If you don’t know how to get it, go to the user forums at blender.org and look for a build there.

Other than that method, I use mostly “from screen” captures and piece them together with the new welding tools.

If you aren’t accustomed to using a checkerboard image, get used to it… use both large and small patterns so you can see major and then more minor stretching in your coords. Gimp has some render tools for making this image.

LSCM is in bf-blender CVS builds now and works great. Wait for 2.34 (early august I think is planned release) or grab a test build.

Depending on your geometry, it might not be the answer to your problem, but it sure worked great on mapping a human character I made and took much less time than doing it by hand.