Composite Sequence+3D

Hello, it’s been a while since I posted here. I’m editing video in blender for the first time (AVCHD, to be exact, it’s amazing) and I have been struggling for the past few hours with trying to combine the 2D sequence with 3D overlays.
Effectively, what I’m trying to do is put a particle emitter into a 3D scene, and a clip into the 2D timeline, and be able to render the 3D on top of the 2D, but render both at the same time. The idea is to have a simulated explosion within a live-action video, I’m sure I could do this much more easily in a program like After-Effects, but that isn’t free, now is it?:eyebrowlift:

add the scene strip over the plate movie strip, and use the alphaover blend mode.

Sorry to be nooby… but “Plate Strip” is not an option on my add menu.

Edit: Wait, should I render out the 3D component first, then add it as a strip?

Edit again: Never mind, I found the “Scene” button. Sorry. :slight_smile:

the plate, or live action plate, is what you are calling the 2D background - the live action footage. In Blender, you add that as a movie strip. Add->Movie, say to channel 1, and then the Scene strip to channel 2. The scene strip’s blending mode is in the sequencer properties panels. http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Sequencer/Usage