compositing help

Please help I’m trying to combine two separate render items in cycles, the fist is a car and the second is a cloth draped over the car. The problem I’m having is that the part of the cloth that is not meant to be visible because it falls behind the car is slightly visible i just can’t figure out how to get around this, any help would be great. I’m not asking for the solution I’m just wanting to know what it is i have to look into i don’t mind researching and figuring it out i just don’t know where to start.

Many thanks.

Attachments

Difficult to tell given that your render appears to waste 90% of the space by just showing blackness so the important bit is tiny !!

I’m not asking for the solution I’m just wanting to know what it is i have to look into
Mask layers

Many thanks Richard at least i know now what to search for, sorry about the image should have done it with the background in as well :smiley:

You could also render out a z pass for both renders and use that in the composite.

if i wanted to use the z passes would i use a mix node???

sorted thanks for you help guys :slight_smile:

In whatever renderer is your choice, the compositing step would use Z-combine. Make certain that you are capturing that information. If you are having problems with spurious stuff showing-up like the back side of the drapery, a “garbage matte” is often just what the doctor ordered.