Compositing question

Just have a few questions. Im new to blender so sorry for newb question.

1. When compositing a 3d object over live footage should all textures already be final? Can i change the textures in the compositor? I am going by the track match blend series and mostly following the gun arm tutorial. In track match blend 2 i see the compositor works completely different.

2. i am applying a 3d bayonet to the end of a rifle that is live action footage. There were no markers on footage but i was able to get 8 object markers on rifle. I have 2 markers at the barrel of the rifle when i apply the 3d bayonet it seems like it is passable but a little shaky. I parented the bayonet to one of the markers like in the video. So 8 markers on rifle 2 of those 8 are on barrel. Is that enough? Can blender take the other markers that are located on rest of rifle and use that info?

Thanks again for any help you can give me!

1. Yes you can turn on a UV pass to remap individual object’s textures, BUT it is not as accurate as those rendered in the 3D view. Especially if using Cycles as the material (including texture) will contribute to the lighting in the scene via bounces.

2. dunno… sorry.

I sense “diminishing returns” here. Be sure that there is a return-on-investment in the time you put into this.

First, do all the move-matching, perhaps using bayonet-sized objects that have no textures at all. Even if you do a little manual adjustment of the movement curves, get the match down close-enough so that the audience (never-mind “you,” you CG perfectionist … :wink: ) will not perceive objectionable shakiness. (As Zac said in A Chorus Line: “Don’t Draw My Eye!”)

Also: “cut the film together first.” Determine what shots are going to be in the final cut. Don’t spend (much) time on footage that will wind up on the cutting-room floor. Don’t spend time on “passing shots” or situations where the bayonets won’t the object of attention.

Once you’ve got that, and have made umpteen-zillion locked backup copies of it … :slight_smile:now’s the time to think about textures, which should be stored in a common asset library. Different shots may call for different textures. They should all come from a consistent set of “swatches.”

Be sure to substitute the real geometry (still untextured) for the stand-in objects in a few test shots, just to make sure.

The compositor is a perfectly fine way to attach textures to things although I don’t customarily do it. (I don’t use textures that add much to render-time.)

Pay attention to sources of light since the rendered bayonets (which should be in a layer or layer of “bayonets floating in empty space”) might … or, frankly, might not … need at least plausible lighting of the sun-direction.

If the bayonets are gonna be stuck into someone’s guts … ahem … as in at least a few shots I presume that they will be, stick 'em into oranges: spheres or what-have-you that are also on the bayonet render, but in a separate renderLayer that you can exclude. Those “oranges” might need to roughly track the squirming victim, but since shots like that are usually cut so tight, you can do that by hand without actual tracking of the (soon to be) corpse.

Wow thanks guys for the info. Sundial I can tell you are a filmmaker lol. I have actually rendered my first animation shot. 5 sec long. The bayonet looks so fake because of no textures but I’m happy somewhat with matchmove. I would love for the bayonet to sit right below the barrel of rifle. In the shot the soldier is static he lift the rifle up and I notice the bayonet is not exactly in the same place. I’m thinking now would it be better to render out just bayonet in blender make movie and then bring everything into after effects to slightly key frame bayonet to rifle. Sundial I picked an easy 5 sec shot to practice with just to learn basics of blender. I’ve shot a horror film and am editing while I learn blender. I have many complex shots coming up and aND am in this for long haul.