Compression on OSs

(bgrav) #1

This is a problem I managed to come across when thinking of downloadable tutorials for my web site. I was thinking of compiling the html files in Windows Help (.hlp) files which is fine, for Windows users (me)! I then thought I could just put a zip file as well, but then I thought is a zip file multi-OS? Therefore, I have come here to ask:

For all you other OS users (Linux, BeOS, Mac etc), is there compression/de-compression of ZIP files or do I have to compress in a different format for you guys.

:: I seen .tar before and tar.gz and I think this is Linux (am I right) ::

So, could anyone help because I don’t want my site to be only for Windows users!

Thanks,

(valarking) #2

Almost all linux distros come with some form of decompressor, almost all supporting the zip format.

(bgrav) #3

Thanks valarking, that is a great help.

Does anyone know about Mac, BeOS and Solaris?

(valarking) #4

Don’t trust me on this, but I believe the Zip format is supported on most OSes.

(Timonides) #5

First of all linux can handle most .zip files I think… You can decompress them with the gunzip program…

Second the .tar file format is handled by the gnu’s tar/untar utility…

Third as they say at: http://www.gzip.org/

"To extract .tar and .tar.gz files on Windows 9x/NT/2000/ME/XP use PowerArchiver 6.1 (freeware) or Winzip (commercial). For tar on MSDOS or other systems, see the FAQ of the comp.compression newsgroup.

I hope this helps…
:wink:

Spyros.

(IMProvisar) #6

on the .tar and .tar.gz. I believe tar stands for “Tape Archive” and has no compression. It’s only used to archive several files into one .tar file for convenience (also called a “tar ball”, I think). then the .gz I think is just a GPL flavor of Zip. So, to make a .tar.gz, you’d first run the tar utility, then the zip utility, and reverse order to open them up (of course, there may be some that’ll do both… been a while since I opened one up, hehe).

Imp

(digitalSlav) #7

yeah you got it right…

also .tar.gz files can be opened in winzip on a windows platform. either way you will get your point across.

(Jamesk) #8

I’ve been exchanging some model files with a Mac user recently, and he didn’t seem to have any problems opening my Zips made with WinRar on W2K… Aside from that, it appears that mac users tend to favor the .sit format, but I think the program making those also handles unpacking of zips.

(Timonides) #9

Yes ofcourse the .tar has no compression… but in order to do anything with the files from the tar archive, you still need to extract (not uncompress them :wink: ) them, with the untar program :wink:

Spyros.

(IMProvisar) #10

Hey, whatever happened to the Zip functionality that used to be found in Windows95/98 Plus? It used to be awesome, they just appeared in Windows Explorer as folders with a zipper on 'em… easy drag and drop. XP this by itself, but it’s not quite as pretty as it used to be.

Since I’m speaing of Windows Plus, anyone else get XP Plus? My dad bought it, and it ticked me off to no end. You spend about $50 for additional stuff, and they’re ALL demos!!! Like the aquarium screensaver… has 3 fish in it, and there’s a button about adding more fish, click it and your browser opens up to a website where you can order more fish or different tanks. Almost every item on XP Plus was just a demo for stuff you can buy… I’ll never get a Windows Plus again… it used to be stuff they should have put on the Windows disk, but didn’t to get more money, now it’s a disk full of demos that belongs on the back of a PC magazine.

Imp

(Clete2) #11

the windoze me default unzipper is screwed up… it shows 2 folders in the zip when there is actually one… very weird…

unzip <filename>

will unzip a file in a Linux terminal… I know that Mandrake installs the command by default but on other distros you may have to choose it on the packages selection… also you cannot open it in archiver, the only way I know of is the command-line… zip may work to zip them, I have never tried, I usually use .tar.gz files.