compression

ok so, i have tested a bit, and my conclution is this:

Rendered image with 0% Compression took me 0:53sec and File size: 3000Kb
Rendered image with 100% Compression took me 0:56sec and File size: 365Kb

they look just the same…
so is there ANY reason NOT to just flip the compression to 100%? the rendering time is barely noticable, but the filesize difference is MASSIVE!

im using PNG format, maybe it matters with other formats? i dont know.

Yes. Saving time with the cost of disk space.

If you’re rendering a 5 minute animation with the default frame rate, that’s (560) seconds * 24 frames/second * 3 seconds/frame = 6 hours time saving from file saving speed difference alone. You might care about that more than the frames taking (560243000) / (1024^2) = 20.6 gigabytes of space.

Compressed files have to be uncompressed before using so that could be a factor if those frames go through post-processing.

File size of 3000kB is nothing. Multilayer openexr files can easily take 50MB each, with compression. Single layer exr’s take more than that, too, 5.0 - 5.6MB in Tears Of Steel production https://media.xiph.org/tearsofsteel/tearsofsteel-frames-exr/

ok so lets take your math now. 5 min of animation with 24FPS is in total 7200 frames.
Seconds * FramesPerSecond
(5*60) * 24 = 7200

so if you save 3 second for every frame, that is total 7200*3 seconds saved, witch is 21600 (or 6 hours)

what about rest of the frames? i said one render took 53/56 seconds.

so the time it would take to render this animation would be 106 hours, or 4,4 days.

now if the rendering takes over 4 days, then 6 hours of extra waiting is nothing…

also, i would like to point out that its 21,6GB and not 20,6GB. however, spending 6 hours more and the file would be only 2,6GB.
that is 19GB saved…

now would it still make sence not to compress?

You asked if there is any. Actually, you asked if there is ANY. I gave two reasons, speed in saving and loading. The point being that those accumulate when doing an animation. You decide how useful/important those are to you.

Yes, that’s 4.4 days on one computer which is nothing unheard of.

Need more disk space? Then go and buy more disk space!

Typically, a CG movie is created using many separately-rendered layers of information which must be combined. Trouble is, compression algorithms are usually “lossy,” which means noise. Furthermore, each layer will have its own separate noise. This quickly adds up to a seriously degraded image. Also, generating a (compressed …) movie-file from (also compressed …) image-files can introduce noise.

However, it’s also to some degree “your call.” LQQK for yourself at what you’re coming up with, at the “final” screen resolution that you intend to use, and decide if it’s okay for the project.