Computer for rendering.

Hi,

Sorry for bothering you, but I’m in need of a “low budget” rendering machine. Generally it has to render 3-6 minute, HD animations in Cycles in a reasonable time. Most of the time it won’t be used for modling, texturing and animating.

Can you tell me if something like that will do?

Platform:
Intel B75
Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-3770 Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.9 GHz)
Cooling:
radiatot
RAM:
8 GB (2x4GB)
RAM type:
DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600)
Drive 1:
SSD, 120 GB
Drive 2:
magnetic, 1000 GB
Drive Interface:
Serial ATA/600
Graphic Card:
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Power Supply:
350 W

If I shouldn’t post it here, I am terribly sorry and please delete.

Thanks for help.

If you want to render in cycles you will want to get a dedicated NVidia graphics card that is suitable for gpu rendering with CUDA. The HD4000 on your list will only allow cpu rendering. There are many threads in Technical Support discussing the best or most cost effective graphics card. This will most likely also require a bigger power supply.

That is an Intel integrated Graphics chip. Integrated graphics chip are never as good as a dedicated graphics card and Intel’s are very hit or miss with OpenGL.

Thank you for Your replys.

@Richard Marklew
I was thinking about it, but all configuration involving suitable NVidia Graphic Cards (that have better performence than i7) seems noticeably more expensive.

@jestmart
I was thinking of rednering using only CPU. Since computer won’t be used for anything that involves much of GPU I thought this way will be cheaper (and only a little bit less efficient).

As usual I forgot an important part to my earlier post. Many 3D programs use OpenGL for displaying. If the graphics sub-system doesn’t provide a decent level of OpenGL support some 3D programs may not even run. Intel graphics chips are notorious for substandard OpenGL support.

Once again thank you for your reply. Unfortunately it looks like I will have to spend a little bit more money on this matter than.

PS Do you really need OpenGL support when rendering in blender from console?

Hi, I tested HD 2500 on my i5 and got no problems with blender.
The 3d viewport performance is not much better with my GTX 550Ti 2 gb display card.
HD 4000 support OpenGL 3.1 und OpenCL 1.1 even higher with latest driver and blender use OpenGL 1.0 for viewport.
Don’t hold your breath about performance but with 30-50 euro cards you are not better.

Cheers, mib.