Condo Livingroom

Hi Everyone,

First time submission. I have been using Blender for a few months now and finally had something that I thought was worth showing. Still haven’t gotten to photo-realistic yet, but I think it is coming along.

Any feedback is welcome!

Mike

Attachments

I would really like to see this as photorealistic. What I would do is render with YafaRay (all of your textures will apply in YafaRay, however, material reflectiveness, specularity and color will not–but color isn’t important if you have the image textured with an image). Also, I would delete the curtains, or, if you still want them, scale them without the z-azis and move them to the side. The design looks very good and so are the textures.

Thank you for the response!

And I also appreciate you bringing up YafaRay because I have been meaning to ask some questions about it. I have seen some truly beautiful work come out of the use of this ray tracer but I really don’t know anything about it – and honestly I’m not that interested in learning yet ANOTHER piece of software unless it’s worth it.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using YafaRay? What is the workflow involved in going from blender to YafaRay? I know that earlier it used to be pretty much a direct export from blender into YafaRay but my impression is that that has recently changed.

Thanks again for the critique.

Mike

Well, YafaRay can be used to achieve photorealistic results. When using YafaRay, all textures assigned to materials will apply in YafaRay. The type of light applies in YafaRay, although you will have to change the power and color (also, each type of light in Blender has 1 or 2 choices for YafaRay). Also, the camera angle and window size apply in YafaRay, but you can also change the type of camera in YafaRay. For materials, the color, specularity, reflectiveness and other settings will all have to be changed. Also, a tip for editing materials, make sure you have the “Always show active object” button selected because you don’t want to accidentally change the wrong material.

Thanks for the response.

While I appreciate all of the input with respect to using YafaRay, I’m going to resist the temptation to try and learn another piece of software (it’s been a sufficient enough challenge just to learn how to use Blender) and see what I can do with the internal renderer itself.

To that end, I am currently researching linear workflow and how to best utilize it in Blender. It’s quite a fascinating subject. I’m hoping to be able to apply these principles very soon to this scene and see what I can get for photorealism.

Mike

if you want linear workflow, use a 2.50 build (from graphicall)
it does linear workflow automatically.
yafaray is not hard to learn, but it can be a pain to install sometimes (just ask shnitzelkiller :stuck_out_tongue: )

Thanks for the reply spacetug.

I have been debating using 2.5 because of that very thing – but I can’t seem to figure out how much of the new build doesn’t work. Is there a rough listing somewhere of what does and does not work in the current alpha version of 2.5?

Lord knows I’m nowhere near an advanced enough user to use 20% of what is even in 2.49, but there are some things that I do need to have available to me and if they don’t work in 2.5 then that precludes my ability to use it.

Mike

As a lark, here is a quick and dirty image of the same scene with some of the steps of linear workflow applied (most of the lights deleted, what lights remained have been set to inverse square falloff attenuation and adjusted for levels and ambient occlusion adjusted to give approximately the correct amount of global illumination and coloring).
What still remains to be done is to reverse gamma correct all of the textures and materials in the scene, which understandably look pretty washed out right now. For this I am planning on using N30N’s PyNode script to automatically reverse gamma correct everything.

Mike

Attachments

Here is an update with linear workflow fully implemented.

I am having strange behavior with my reverse gamma corretion though. When I use a reverse gamma correction of 2.2 (to return my materials and textures to a gamma setting of 1.0) my final renders are coming out way, WAY too dark. The only way I seem to be able to fix this is to reduce the original reverse gamma correction down to approximately 1.3! At this stage all of the materials and textures come out looking properly after the final render (which involves a gamma correction of 0.45 to return everything to a correct gamma setting of 2.2).

No clue why it’s happening…

Mike

Attachments

The new flame looks a little flat… maybe you could give it some shape.

It’s actually the same flame, but because I am now adding a gamma correction immediately following the render, it’s flattening the color spectrum of the flame out a bit. I will have to see what I can do about adding some shape to the flame.

Thanks for your comments!

Mike

UPDATE

Here is the first presentable render out of LuxRender. Still have lots of work to do on the textures, which are quite a bit different from those in Blender. But the lighting is much better – and much simpler. You’ve got to love an unbiased renderer for the ease of lighting. The scene in blenders internal rendering engine used 13 lights. In LuxRender it only takes four and it gets better lighting as well. It’s also very handy that linear workflow is automatically incorporated into LuxRender.

C&C welcome.

Mike

Attachments

Wow, that’s a great improvement ! Start to look interesting. Well done MikeJ.
I would just crit three things: The fire look like a shape with a fire texture glued on top…Maybe reduce a bit the reflectivity of the “raffia” or wood piece next to the fireplace, and maybe lower down a bit the length of the plant stems in the pot…they’re almost going through the ceiling…

Simon,

Thank you very much for the feedback!

I agree with everything you have said here, and have already made significant improvements on my successive renders. I will soon have a significantly improved version to show on here.

Stay tuned because I know that, next to the release of 2.5, this has been the one thing that everyone has been waiting for. LOL

Mike

Looking forward to see your improvment, I stay tuned :wink:

So as to not dissapoint my one and only fan :smiley: I am posting the latest update. Finally got all of the texture issues resolved (and bailed on the fire for another project).

I think this is probably as final as its going to get as I need to move on to the next scene and I’m tired of looking at this one.

Thanks for any feedback!

Mike

Attachments

Brief update of the update to correct for the overblown lighting.

Attachments

Ah, looks good. Also, try doing a render at a lower angle and using some DoF. Although the rendering may take much longer, it’ll have some very interesting results.

Here is the real final. Rendered out to about 6k S/px in Lux. Thanks to all those who gave input!

Mike

Attachments

Ah!! I was going to suggest Lux, but then I scrolled down to your latest post :smiley: :smiley: Are you registered on their forums?

Only suggestion is pleeease get a better diffuse for your floor. I’ve never seen a floor like that IRL, I’d say go with a hard-wood parquet if you want it to look similar.