Conforming Clothes?

Dear Community,

well … I have been working (or playing) with Poser for several years but I am pretty new to Blender. Currently I am trying to learn about clothes. In Poser there is a very handy way of clothes called “conforming clothes”. This is actually a character (in the shape of clothes like trousers, catsuit or what ever) with a skeleton (sorry … an armature) in it. You can “conform” the clothes to a charakter, which means all the bones of the clothes are put in the same place as the bones of the character. Also their rotation etc. is locked. If you lift the left arm of the character the left arm bone (and geometry) of the cloth lifts with it automatically. The clothing follows the movements of the character and fits always.
In Poser this is done by one mouseclick and I am wondering whether there is a similarly easy way of doing this in Blender, too? (Of course, before you can do it you must have the clothes set up and rigged properly.)

Thanks,

Kyraia

If the cloth is properly rigged, all you have to do is to link the armature deformer to the same armature as the character, or better “set parent to armature deform”; cloth and character must have the same origin and orientation.
For properly rigged I mean that the armature which the cloth is rigged on must have the same bones with matching names, and same scale/proportions than those of the character.

paolo

Hello Paolo,

it has been a while but now I tried to do what you suggested. But unfortunately it didn’t work.
I have a boxman character and a dress for him but after several tries with linking or parenting the dress still doesn’t follow the boxman. It is just doing nothing. It seems I have not yet completely understood how this works.

Kyraia

Attachments

Hi Kyraia,
it is difficult to understand the problem without a file, you must follow the correct procedure for rigging the cloth, just as if it were a character; put the origin of both the cloth and character in the same place of origin of the armature, both must be children of the armature and they must have an armature modifier linked to such armature.
They must have adequate vertex groups, named exactly as the bones from which they are driven.
The topology of the cloth geometry and the correct weights of the vertex groups determine how it will follow the movements of the character, you may need to add some shape keys to the geometry for that.
You can also add a Mask modifier to the character to hide those parts under the cloth that could pass through.

I hope that helps, otherwise you should add more details and/or a file, and hope in the help of somebody more experienced than me in the field of rigging.

paolo