Console Context

Hi,
I am in the process of learning blender python, and everyone suggest to use the python console in blender to test and check functionality of short line of code.
Well, I am pretty doing this, but while working on bpy.ops I faced the “context” problem.

For example I was trying something as:

bpy.ops.graph.paste()

but it says that the context is incorrect. So I created a short script where I switch to the GRAPH_EDITOR context and it works:

import bpy

def paste_frame():

bpy.context.area.type = 'GRAPH_EDITOR'
    bpy.ops.graph.paste()
    bpy.context.area.type = 'TEXT_EDITOR'

paste_frame()

Question is: how can I test/check bpy.ops working on specific context via the console? Is there a way to do it?

Thanks,
Davide

if bpy.ops.graph.paste.poll():
    bpy.ops.graph.paste()

CoDEmanX, I tested your code, it reports that context is not correct (even for the if statement).
I checked it in console and in script, but it not works.

it can’t be from the if / poll, there is no context involved at all. It’s probably surrounding code.

I found I was placing the () after the paste in the If statement. Now it does not give me error. Btw it is doing anything since the if statements return False (the context is incorrect and poll() return False).

Now: how can I run bpy.ops.graph.paste() from the console? I guess the only way should be using a script, which is fine, but the console cannot help me testing it before putting in a script! I’m looking for a turnaround

paste() requires Graph editor area, so you can use an override to test:

for area in bpy.context.screen.areas:
    if area.type == 'GRAPH_EDITOR':
        break
bpy.ops.graph.paste({'area': area})

this doesn’t help one if you have a single view of the console, like I think this is targeted for, but you dont even have to run the gui in the first place for the api and console, simply run in the command line the python module InteractiveConsole, then you can just use the terminal for the apis you need. of course after you close the terminal python session then blender will show you the gui.

Well yeah, but you can also do it like this:

prev_type = bpy.context.area.type
bpy.context.area.type == 'GRAPH_EDITOR'
bpy.ops.graph.paste()
bpy.context.area.type = prev_type

Then you don’t need an opened graph editor area.