Constant updating of addons across a larger user base in house without having to reinstall

Im wanting to be able to update addons on a large scale (20+ computers) without having to bash script something across the board. Wondering if i can just use the script path somehow. under File preferences.

I notice when you install an addon it copies files locally (in linux to /.config/ folder) i want to avoid this behaviour and rather have the addon read off the central location so that all users are working from one location. And when code is pushed to live, users would just need to reopen blender.

Any ideas how to do this?

I would make a local to Blender’s install ‘config’ folder (\2.79\config) as a first step. This then is where Blender checks for where addons live (userpref.blend file) first. Then run and point Blender to some folder where addons are. I suppose you could symlink this folder after using sshfs or nfs.

1 Like

hmm tru symlink…might give this a go. Cheers

Cheers thanks! symlink worked :slight_smile: though i think blender opens ever so slightly slower. Could be network speed maybe as the symlink is targeted there.