Construction Lines add-on - CAD - Released

I have been waiting for something like this for a while. This is so needed for architectural work

1 Like

I’ve also spent a lot of years in a CAD program and I miss construction lines as well. Would be very interested.

1 Like

Thanks for all the responses, I’m really pleased that this is something that you’re looking for. I use Construction Lines for my day to day work, as I’m trying to move all my CAD work over to Blender now, so it’s under constant development. I’ll release a beta version on Blender Market/Gumroad which will entitle you to the full release when it’s ready, for a minimal fee (around $7) Which might help fund a bit of the time to develop in the direction you guys want. Below is a list of some of the things that are currently in development for the next version. Any other requests, please let me know.

• Angular measurement between objects/geometry points
  • Rotation of guidelines/objects to a snapped point - means you can rotate and snap to a distant unconnected vertex/edge/face
  • Guide shapes - rectangle, circle and arc guide points option to be built instead of constructing an object
  • Dragging guides/objects locked perpendicular to an existing guide line
  • Face splitting when adding a new shape away from an edge in existing geometry (Blender won’t split a face if there is not a connecting edge)
  • 2D shape booleans
5 Likes

Should I DM you on insta or any other platform

I will buy it as soon as it is available. I was in need of this feature a couple of days ago as I was modeling this renovation project

1 Like

Thanks for the comment @Ector3 I hope your project went well despite not having the add-on. I’m working on a tutorial document now and once that’s done I’ll be ready to release.

1 Like

I applaud that you are not only developing such a useful addon but taking the time to create educational documentation for potential users. This is an aspect of development that far too often gets overlooked.

2 Likes

Appreciate the comment, thanks. Completely agree with you, it often seems like an afterthought.

1 Like

Super interested in this - as someone with a heavy history in SketchUp modeling, I think these are the kinds of tools that a lot of users of SketchUp are waiting for before really giving Blender a chance. Really excited for this! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey Justin, welcome to BA. I was going to contact you through YouTube about this. I’ve been following your SU videos since the early days. Really looking forward to your opinion on the add-on. My work is split between SU and Blender, so I’ve been trying to make the tools comprehensive enough to completely move over to Blender. Still a lot of work to do but I think this could be a great start. I should be releasing the beta version at some point next week.

2 Likes

About time we get some proper CAD like modeling functionality!!

Awesome Thanx!!!

1 Like

Really excited to see it - let me know when you release it and I’d love to do a video on it on the Blender channel!

1 Like

Extremely useful and well done. Congrats!

1 Like

That would be fantastic. Thanks Justin. I’ll definitely let you know when it’s released.

1 Like

Thanks very much. Looking forward to releasing it!

1 Like

Super interested in this! As an ex Sketchup user this is a major helpful tool set. Really looking forward to using it as soon as it comes out!!!

1 Like

Ping @stephen_leger - could there be some synergies between this and your work?

1 Like

Hope so, as long as it rely on native snap, it will work out of the box with archipack manipulators.
If it does use some offscreen opengl tricks - like cad transform do, will take a look at a way to push / retrieve locations.
Was looking myself at such kind of things - construction lines - , derived from work done on cad_snap, but stopped working on it as i would avoid interference with other addon devs.

2 Likes

Hi All,

Just to let you know Construction Lines is now available on Gumroad I’ll post an option to download from Blender Market in the next few days.

There’s a link to the full documentation on Gumroad and also here

Please remember that the add-on is in Beta, so any feedback is most welcome and new features are already being developed.

4 Likes

sketchup like push pull to remove material and form window

1 Like