Construction Lines add-on - CAD - Released

That would be fantastic. Thanks Justin. I’ll definitely let you know when it’s released.

1 Like

Thanks very much. Looking forward to releasing it!

1 Like

Super interested in this! As an ex Sketchup user this is a major helpful tool set. Really looking forward to using it as soon as it comes out!!!

2 Likes

Ping @stephen_leger - could there be some synergies between this and your work?

1 Like

Hope so, as long as it rely on native snap, it will work out of the box with archipack manipulators.
If it does use some offscreen opengl tricks - like cad transform do, will take a look at a way to push / retrieve locations.
Was looking myself at such kind of things - construction lines - , derived from work done on cad_snap, but stopped working on it as i would avoid interference with other addon devs.

2 Likes

Hi All,

Just to let you know Construction Lines is now available on Gumroad I’ll post an option to download from Blender Market in the next few days.

There’s a link to the full documentation on Gumroad and also here

Please remember that the add-on is in Beta, so any feedback is most welcome and new features are already being developed.

5 Likes

sketchup like push pull to remove material and form window

1 Like

This Add-on looks well designed and is based on I think long experience from you.
Maybe it is possible to intergrate the exploded view function, because this is absolute missing in blender today (or over some steps only possible)
Also the push / pull concept would be nice :slight_smile:

in general godd performed Add-on which I will for sure buy…

2 Likes

Thanks for the comment. I definitely agree with the exploded view and I also think section cuts would be a really useful feature.
I developed a basic version of push/pull for this but stopped development with the upcoming Blender 2.9 Extrude Manifold tool which is essentially the same thing. I thin with Construction Lines and Blender 2.9, pretty much all basic features will be covered from products such as SketchUp.

2 Likes

If it is possible for you I would be very happy if you can integrate in the next updates

• exploded view
  • section cuts

This would be great additions
For push/pull you are right … this will be integrated in bender functions 2.9

2 Likes

This is better than I expected. It is full of features and definitely a must have for architectural modeling. Well done

1 Like

Hi. Just bought the add-on and trying some stuff out. First thing I noticed is the scale issue with the measurement. I work with imperial units and also scale it down to .3048 as per conversion rate between cm and feet. This is necessary for me in part because it allows me to export obj between rhino and blender, otherwise there will be scaling issues. I was wondering if this could be fixed in the future (not that important for me because I already use measureit, but I figured that consistency would be nice. Second, do you foresee any auto snapping features that are prominent in popular cad softwares like Moi and Rhino? Like smart snapping that recognizes the horizontal or vertical alignment of the next vertex (becomes useful when trying to complete a polyline with orthogonal shape. Also odd detections like perp, center, and tangent would be amazing.

Third, I was wondering if the line drawing mode could have curve drawing as an option also. I’m definitely asking for too much and I don’t particularly need this feature since I can do it in Rhino, but it’s also nice to stay within Blender. Curve drawing instead of polygon would come in use when dealing with circles and its tangents. I particularly am fond of circles sharing their tangents and it seems almost impossible to do so with limited polygon edges. Just my initial thoughts.

Thank you for the add-on. It’s certainly nice to see these features come into Blender.

1 Like

@Ector3 Thanks very much for the comment. I’m really glad to hear that! Lot’s more features coming soon.

1 Like

Thanks for the comment. I’ll definitely fix the scaling issue. I figured there might be a few use cases I’d not thought of coming up. Thanks for posting that one.

Yes, I definitely will add some smart snapping based on alignment with axis and intend to include perpendicular as well. I’d like to be able to add a perpendicular/tangent lock also, for snapping and moving objects. This was mentioned in a DM to me, along with a great suggestion from @stephen_leger to allow for working in local object space when working.

I’ll look into curves as this could be really useful. I think AutoCAD uses curves instead of polys. The more we can stay in Blender the better.

Thanks again for your ideas.

2 Likes

Great Addon… bought… :slight_smile:

1. I was hoping your guide lines working with others blender tools, but it is visible only with CL tool active.
  2. I think you would can to do more options for guide lines divisions… like creating empty obj on start and end empty points (currently creating on end point only)…
    :pray: and mainly, to create more divisions (empty objs) along guided line using something like ALT + WheelMouse or CTRL + WheelMouse (same for arc/circle segments)

like this:

site for more references:

2 Likes

@wilBr thanks for buying. Love the idea of using the mouse wheel to divide the space (I’ve added to my list) and also more than happy to add an empty at the beginning of the guide also.

stephen_leger mentioned about using guide edges outside of Construction Lines by having an option to create true geometry from a guide edge. I think it’s a good call, so will add that in.

4 Likes

great… thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a quick note for anyone who is waiting for the Blender Market link: https://blendermarket.com/products/construction-lines it’s available now

2 Likes

I was waiting. And now I have purchased. Thank you for giving people store options.

Looking forward to giving you add-on a spin:-)

1 Like

Thanks for the purchase David. Hope you like it and find it useful!

I’m working on some new features that are set to roll out pretty soon but if there’s anything you feel is a must have for you, let me know.

1 Like