Continuous Rotation using Nodes?

1. Can I animate the rotation of an object using nodes so it rotates continuously even if it is moved about the viewport. I want the rotation of the objects below to rotate regardless of where they are moved.

2. How would I make the axis/pivot point of these cylinder shapes angle in the direction of the yellow lines?

pg

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/6783/pivotpoint.jpg

Don’t know what nodes has to do with it?

Just hit Alt-Spacebar and choose “Local” for transforms before keyframing each, then in the IPO Editor select all IPO’s and go Curve >> Extend >> Cyclic.

%<

Thanks Fligh, That seems pretty straight forward. I thought you could animate with nodes too, but I guess not.:slight_smile: Do you know how to make the axis/pivot points follow the same angle as the cylinder?

pg

In F7, Draw Tab, you can turn on Axis, which will then be drawn inside the object in the 3D window. If that axis is not aligned to the Mesh, then Ctrl-A to align it.

%<

Thanks Fligh, I will give that a try.

pg

Hi, I have a couple of questions I still can’t figure out.

1. When I press F7 on my mac it isn’t working in Blender 2.5. Can you please tell me where the “Draw Tab” is you speak of so I can change the axis?
  1. Blender 2.5 doesn’t have a so called “IPO Editor” anymore. Is the IPO Editor now the same as “Graph Editor” in 2.5 and nowhere could I find (Curve > Extend > Cyclic) is it renamed in Blender 2.5?

pg

And I don’t have 2.5 (in fact I don’t have any blender) so you’ll have to wait for someone else.

%<

Sorry if this is a dumb question but if you don’t use Blender, then how are you a Moderator? :slight_smile:

pg

Shush! Nobody’s supposed to know that!

%<

To answer the question about cycling in 2.5— open the Graph Editor, key the rotation for a single cycle, select the curve for the rotation, press “N” to bring up the Properties panel in the F-Curve editor, add a modifier>cycles, set the number of cycles before and after, (leave both values at zero to cycle infinite).

This thread opens up a very cool sounding idea of “animation nodes.” I wonder what they would be like.

That’s basically what you have in the IPO (Graph) Editor, Actions Editor (Dope Sheet), and NLA Editor (not sure what is comparable in 2.5). Each handles various aspects of animation tasks both separately and acting in concert, much as nodes do for other tasks.