Control game character with python, no animation

character with python using applyRotation and math equation instead of a 1000 animations. I suck at rigging and animation. Perhaps just a script or maybe by using an AI program. I’m still pretty new at python.

Get good with py, and then apply a paper called “phase function neural networks for character locomotion”

Hi coetzer69! you need use python for drive you maniken, use actuator “run armature” for armatures this will update bones positions, rotation and scale, use constraine inverse kinematics and rigid body constraint for bones, you need upload game - Zelda made in bge, this is good game for understand how works IK, RB, and how get and control colliders - arms, leg, body, and how talking BluePrintRandom final step use neural networks for locomotions characters

Geez, I’d just work with fewer states and call it a day.

Ok thanks, I’ll have a look. I want the player to control a big Droid running around smashing and ripping enemy droids apart and instead of having objects flying into his hands, he must physically grap an object (enemy) and when the force exceeds a certain level the parented objects to ‘break’ apart giving the real elusion of being ripped apart, all in real-time. I’m not sure if this would be a feasible idea or perhaps better to go with the industry standard of animation

Hi coetzer69! even in its pure form does not use the locomotion - most games use procedural animation when you mix locomotion with a pre-written animations or actions - the selection of subjects is possible in BGE/UPBGE through inverse kinematics and collision models when the Collider(a cube) that the player’s hand takes a subject opens a door just behind the handle of the door or cling to the ledge - but this will probably only work if you use Python, logic blocks will not give good results because they need to objects, to direct them to positions and to do many operations, to manage the bones of the skeleton and bones is scheduled for stops if you have little experience in the BGE/UPBGE better use the standard animations and layered animations :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks Villi89, good advice. I know not to reinvent the wheel. Not to ask a stupid qeustion but how realistic will i be able to make it look with animation? I mean, the hands crushing the Droid before ripping him apart. Also the player character has two stances, a upright and a four legged like a gorilla and I want him to crawl low to the ground when sneaking up to enemy. So my question - is there a dynamic type of collision/movement box that will automatically form for the three different stance/movement?

you can synchronize the frames of your animation player the animation frames of the enemies for example player_arm.playAction(“PressStrike”, 10, 100, blendin=5, layer=1) enemy_arm.playAction(“PressRobot”, 10, 100, blendin=5, layer=1) when your robot is controlled by the player starts to destroy enemy personnel destruction will be played the same way - it will look pretty good important to write a good animation for such an action you can also add particle effects from other layers to show that the robot is destroyed details, sparks, smoke, fire during this animation, you can play the animation by setting the behavior property to the options you want, writing them down as certain actions player_arm.playAction(own[‘Behavior’]+"_action", 10, 50, blendin=5, layer=1) property the Behavior will insert the desired animation by their name, it is sufficient to change the property behavior - Walk_action, Idle_action, Run_action in the set of animations of your hero robot, then the behavior can be managed quite simply don’t even need state the state object will be written to the property Behavior but you will have to do all this yourself there are no ready made solutions for such projects

I was thinking (and yes, that hurt -joke) to use python to identify certain vertices under his grip and give them new location, then to use ‘add object’ for Sparks and debris but to sync frames and events sounds far easier. What would the python be to unparent objects as the Droid is ripped open. Oh yes, important question - how would it be possible to unparent objects if they were parented outside the game? See, obviously they will spawn into the game as an asset with the ‘rip apart objects/body’ premade

Sorry, stupid of me, the last question was already asked on this forum

you can use mesh animation with vertex keys - for the effect of crushed metal instead of getting mesh vertices through python, or even use normal maps for such effects and dynamic drawing directly on the texture with such maps, for torn ones use “jibs” objects sets of hands/feet/bodies such objects are used by Unreal Engine when it comes to body parts added to the game when monsters must be blown up or destroyed by an explosion and beautifully fly apart - to create such an object, you need to assign limiters to the bones copy rotation and copy position, create solid bodies colliders for the collision model, for the mesh add a hook in edit mode and add armature execution to update the animation like a rag doll to add it all to the game create a group for all these objects and add a group to the game instead of individual objects objects added by a group can also be obtained by adding them using obj = scene. addObject (“GroupA”, own, 0) groups = obj.GroupMembers and find it in this group by name or property and place it in the right place-your robot’s hand

Yeah, I was thinking of using meshReplace or something, it’s just - how many of these object would I need? And that’s the question.

Also I want to create a small map, say 100m2 and have strips added as the player moves forward and those too far back be removed but stored in a text file so that when he returned to the same area after being removed and then reloaded to have the carnage of his destruction still there. Total size of map to be about 250km2. So all rocks, terrain and broken droids. How can that be done?
Also vertices of strips should match and location of places, key points to be read from a file. In other words: although the map is not physically there it should be recorded. forgive me I’m thinking as I’m typing - I could just use libLoad for the terrain strips, the

if you use 10 different robot models you will need 4 models(modules) arm, leg, upper body, lower body for each robot model-arms and legs can be scaled on the X-axis to have two pairs when added to the game, yes to load and unload from memory you need to use libload() and libfree () - write the map to a binary format with encryption so that the computer can read it very quickly, you also need to think through the LOD system for models and maps these are complex tasks in terms of synchronous operation and loading unloading they may require flows control via python