Convert Fluid Simulation To Mesh

Can anyone outline for me how to convert a fluid sim to a mesh that I can then edit (in 2.9)?

I have a fluid domain that sloshes around for a few seconds and then freezes. As the camera then pulls away I want the domain to shrink down into a tiny box. The only thing I can’t figure out so far is how to convert the domain to a static mesh so I can animate it collapsing.

Thanks!

For anyone who comes across this post, I figured it out. At the frame where I wanted to freeze the mesh I simply selected the fluid domain and exported an FBX file. It took a very long time, the software was unresponsive for about 10 minutes (on my 32-core AMD processor, which oddly was only being utilized by about 20%, which makes me think that Blender could use some optimization in that arena)… but then it magically came back. I imported the FBX into my project and the mesh was perfect. I had to re-align it along the Y axis for some reason but once I matched it up it was great. Huzzah!

Or you can duplicate the fluid and convert it to mesh inside blender

1 Like

Can you please explain how to do that? That’s precisely what I was trying to do in the first place but I couldn’t find any information about how to do that in mantaflow.

I know in past versions of Blender you could simply apply the fluid dynamics (according to some posts I’ve seen). But in mantaflow (2.9 version) there’s no ‘apply’ option. Would love to know the way around that.

Cheers!

In the modifier tab you can apply the fluid modifier
Or in the menu, object, convert to mesh

2 Likes

Omg, I can’t believe it was that easy.

I was looking for the Apply button in the physics tab, didn’t realize it was in the Modifiers tab. I made this so much harder than it had to be.

Thank you!!

1 Like

Okay, that’s insane! I’ve been grappling with this for a minute. Thanks for posting. Your 1st solution was however, still interesting. LOL