converting quads to triangles

Does the order in which the vertices are selected affect the direction of the edge that divides the quad. I ask because sometimes it is top left to bot right and other times its top right to bot left.

I have tried diff selection orders without any pridictable result.

It is the internal data structure (the order in which the vertice are stored in the face) that determines how it is split.

Martin

So is there anything i can do to get the split in a particular direction ?

If you’re doing it manually, you can just delete the square face and select each of the 3 vertex corners and make a face for each by pressing f.

0----0
|    |
|    |
0----0

Select all 4 points and do x then select face to delete the face.

0-----0
|
|

Then select the 3 verts you want to define the diagonal direction and press f.

Finally, select the remaining 3 verts and press f.

If it’s for a lot of faces, I don’t think there’s an easy way to define the direction, not just in Blender but any 3D software.

perhaps hitting Xsort?

Xsort didn’t work so i had to do it manually as suggeted by osxrules.

In Edit mode, select all the quads that you want to be triangles and hit Ctrl+T. Sorry that that is a little late, but on hte bright side, now you have it for future reference! :smiley: Of course this will do it randomly.

After pressing Ctrl+T, press Ctrl+F to flip the tris.

i found a little easter egg – try pressing Ctrl+F a few times in a row on the same selection

Thanks guys. Now thats what i was looking for :smiley: :smiley:

i found a little easter egg – try pressing Ctrl+F a few times in a row on the same selection[/quote]
I don’t see an “egg…”

i found a little easter egg – try pressing Ctrl+F a few times in a row on the same selection[/quote]
I don’t see an “egg…”[/quote]

I don’t know if you’re kidding or not but an easter egg is what people call a hidden, usually undocumented feature. You get them on some dvds and in video games.

There are a few undocumented features in Blender. I could see that one coming in handy, thanks phlip and celeriac.

:-? Ctrl+F is neither hidden nor undocumented, what are you getting at?

I don’t know why Celeriac thought it was an “easter egg”. I was just explaining to sundial what an easter egg is.

I think he was refering to this:

http://pages.infinit.net/drachton/wanna_crash.jpg

Odd, that doesn’t happen on my version.

I know Alt+F does that if you try to beauty fill either a large number of faces, or faces which aren’t co-planar (I can’t remember which) - maybe he just hit that instead my mistake?